Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-01-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Horridly slow downloads

Hey everybody, I recently bought a new computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 and 2 gigs of ram, way better than my old p4 2.8ghz and 502mb of ram. But it seems whenever I download patches for a game it only downloads at 40 kb/sec (I was able to get 100kb/sec on my old computer. Why are the downloads so slow? Would setting up a new connection help rather than just plugging in the ethernet cord? Thanks.

glixon765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
Baseband Member

Default Re: Horridly slow downloads

Mabye your ethernet settings are set slow in your bios or mabye your roommate or whoever changed your internet speed.

The Dark Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:51 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to 88

Aside from your network card/controller, your hardware has no effect on download speeds. It could be your ISP or maybe try updating drivers for your network controller.

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Lsung!
88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:49 PM   #4
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

how new are the updates you are downloading?? if many people are trying to get the patch from the same site at once, it will be slower. Just as an example, when i downloaded a bf2142 patch Day 1 of release, it took almost five hours, but a week later, i re-downloaded it for a second computer, and it only took 30.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:46 PM   #5
Baseband Member

So, what else could I do? I downloaded drivers but that made no difference. Someone mentioned changing the speed in the BIOS, how would I do that?
Old 04-13-2007, 09:07 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 View Post
Aside from your network card/controller, your hardware has no effect on download speeds. It could be your ISP or maybe try updating drivers for your network controller.
sum freakin dumass that i am so close to punching at my school was(well he is a white boy who has a chemist as a father which i think makes him good at comps all of the sudden..........pssshwanna smack him.......)telling me(we were talking about ram btw)that his friend's cousin(im pretty sure this already sets the road for a lie.....a friend's cousin?)ok and he told me that that guy had 5gb of ram o his comp and his connection was dial up and his friend cuz of the massive ram was downloading at cable speeds...i really didnt trust him after that.
spywarebanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:13 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

Changing the speed in the BiOS has absolutely no effect on your download speeds, hardware changes have entirely no effect either. The rate at which you download things is solely based on your ISP. What's your internet provider? and what plan are you signed up for? also game patches tend to download slower since lots of players usually download new patches simultaneously which puts strains on the servers and restricts bandwidths of users.
| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:22 PM   #8
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken

you may have some non-optimal settings. I would install tune up utilities, and run the network/iinternet optimizer.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:37 PM   #9
Baseband Member

I have Shaw HIgh Speed and I just dont understand because before I could download things 5 times faster on a computer that was way worse than the one I have now.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:04 AM   #10
Fully Optimized

I'd give Shaw High Speed a call if I were you, also are you on a wireless connection?

| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote