Hoping to buy new parts today!

Kage

Golden Master
Hi everyone

I have not been on here for a while, but I hope you will welcome me back :)

I am going to update this old AMD Thunderbird 1200+ computer completly today: New motherboard, CPU, probably new memory too!

I am wondering to either buy one of these CPU's:

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ which is a 754 socket CPU, or a
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (winchester core) which is a 939 socket CPU.

Now I know that the Winchester core is more effient and so there is less chance of it burning up in my PC, plus it is socket 939, which will probably last longer if I get a motherboard to support that.
The only nag I have is, the 512KB of cache compared to the 1MB cache on the 3400+ (They say because it has a dual memory controller, this doesn't matter) Does it? and is the difference of features worth the 40 quid extra? http://www.microdirect.co.uk/productlister.aspx?GroupID=409

Now for the motherboard, looking for a socket 754 motherboard I'd look at these:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/productlister.aspx?GroupID=302

which one do you think will get the best performance for the price on the 3400+?

I can't seem to find a motherboard to support the 939, that I know about. Anyone know of a good one and where for about £100? (I'd want one with firewire support, and RAID, USB2's standard I think?)

For the memory, i have no idea what I need... to tell the truth, I'm not sure what I have... I'll probably need some lol. I know I'm running off DDR SD ram, 256 MB a socket (2 sockets)

With my ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB, I'm expecting results! :D

Thanks in advance (Back to my long posts again I see...)
*Kage* :)

Hi again, I have done more research, and decided upon the:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester (Because it's a new 90nm process, I've heard I will have to flash the bios on the motherboard, how would I do this?)

Abit AV8 3rd Eye VIA K8T800 Skt 939 1000FSB, DDR400, 8x AGP, SATA RAID, 6ch Audio, GB LAN, USB2, F/Wire ATX (Any good? This is one of the things I'm wondering about the most performance wise)

Geil value 1Gb PC3200 Dual Channel DDR memory (Will this work?)

hehe it might seem i haven't done my research but I have, I'm just asking on your opinions and a few niggle questions...

Thanks
*KaGe*

Thanks :D I can afford to up the parts a bit since it's not me thats buying! hehe... :p

Is this motherboard good enough? or are there better? I mean, that motherboard is best for overclockers, but I probably wouldnt go much into that... I might dabble in it a bit...

Any ideas? :)

I hope I wouldn't have to flash the motherboard, so it would be worth getting a motherboard which I didn't have to do that...

and is that CPU worth going for?

I aim to have this computer running full pelt at games for quite a while! i only ever bother running at 640x480 anyway, it looks much sharper to me, but wouldn't mind antialising, and all effects turned to full! I am also into 3D Rendering and so need a powerful system for this...

I have a Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb graphics card if that helps :p

Thanks
*KaGe* :)

The CPU looks good...And if you plan to keep it for a long time for gaming, You should succeed!!

Back
Top Bottom