Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-24-2014, 10:23 PM   #11
In Runtime

Default Re: Home Server

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
This is how I run my server that I've recently set up. I use an old Dell Optiplex 210L Desktop with P4, 2GB ram and 160GB hard drive and it works fine. I run a little Minecraft Lan server on it and use it to share files and media streaming. I may upgrade the hard drive to a 500GB or 640GB. Anyway like Ssc said a machine like that will do the trick.

About your laptop if you can't remote into it then pull the hard drive and out plug it into a desktop.
Awesome,

Thanks for the input BK!

This is great. Now I'm just waiting till my spring break to actually start building my server and see if my dell PC can handle it. Hopefully I can get it to work.

By any chance you know what kind of windows server program I can use? I recently just got Windows home server 2012, i think, but its on my flash drive.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:05 PM   #12
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJLai View Post
Awesome,

Thanks for the input BK!

This is great. Now I'm just waiting till my spring break to actually start building my server and see if my dell PC can handle it. Hopefully I can get it to work.

By any chance you know what kind of windows server program I can use? I recently just got Windows home server 2012, i think, but its on my flash drive.
Hmm, Well all of Windows Server OS's you would need to buy a licence for but if you already have a copy of Windows Server then burn it to disc and install it, If you want to install it off a USB drive then follow these instructions Install Windows from a USB Flash Drive

BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:01 AM   #13
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to ssc456

If you have a license for Windows Home Server then of course go ahead and use it however I don't think Home Server 2012 will install on specs as low as a P4 with 512Mb RAM? so be sure to meet the minimum specs.

I would personally just run it as a server on whatever software it already has on it? XP, Vista, 7 or 8 will all run fine as a "server".

I'd strip out any pretty graphics stuff and remove anything you don't need but for a home server a standard OS will nearly always be up to the task.

Dont Eat Animals, Its Not Good For Them And They Dont Like It!
ssc456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:23 AM   #14
Golden Master

Yeah using Windows XP, 7 or 8 would be just as easy to setup for file sharing. Partition the drive then map the newly partitioned drive then connect the other devices to it and your good to go.
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:29 AM   #15
In Runtime

alright cool cool.

Thanks guys.

Ill take a look the specs on my desktop tower and let you guys know what they are.

Gonna be a tad bit confusing for me when i start installing it, but ill get it.

Thanks