Home built comp wont boot, nada, zip zero

nappyjim

Beta member
Hey guys, I just googled computer forums and this was the first one that came up, so im not a troll.

Anyway, I just picked up a Gigabyte G33 mobo, intel e4300 1.8 cpu, cool master 500w psu, and 2GB of G.skill ram. I installed eveything and when i hit the power button, nothing happens. I hooked the PSU up to a differnt computer and it powered up, so its not the CPU. Does anyone have any ideas? This mobo doesnt have a light or anything so I cant even tell if the mobo itself is getting power.

Well, does the mobo have any fans connected to it? Do they start to spin?

Also, are you getting any beepcode errors?

Lastly, is your power button connected to the right jumper?

Well, does the mobo have any fans connected to it? Do they start to spin?

Also, are you getting any beepcode errors?

Lastly, is your power button connected to the right jumper?

yah, i got 2 fans connected to the mobo. the CPU fan and the case fan, neither spin. I cheked, and double checked the jumper. I even tried connecting the pins together using a screwdriver and nothing.

Whats the bare minimum I need to get some kind of boot (fan spin, beep, anything)? Do I need the HD connected?

What I would do, Is take everything out of your case. Start with the basics, only the CPU (with heatsink of course), RAM (one stick), and if needed a video card. Short the power jumpers on the motherboard and see if the computer turns on. Even if the RAM is bad, you should get some sort of responce (fan spins, beeps, something).

If the comptuer turns on, but no video, try the other RAM stick. If it does not turn on, you either A shorted the wrong jumpers, or B you have a bad motherboard.

If everything works, slowly add more components to the mix, by adding one at a time untill everything is plugged in. If it works outside your case, there is no reason it shouldn't work inside the case. If you put it in your case and it then stops to work, you either have a case short, or have the power button cable hooked up to the wrong jumpers.

What I would do, Is take everything out of your case. Start with the basics, only the CPU (with heatsink of course), RAM (one stick), and if needed a video card. Short the power jumpers on the motherboard and see if the computer turns on. Even if the RAM is bad, you should get some sort of responce (fan spins, beeps, something).

If the comptuer turns on, but no video, try the other RAM stick. If it does not turn on, you either A shorted the wrong jumpers, or B you have a bad motherboard.

If everything works, slowly add more components to the mix, by adding one at a time untill everything is plugged in. If it works outside your case, there is no reason it shouldn't work inside the case. If you put it in your case and it then stops to work, you either have a case short, or have the power button cable hooked up to the wrong jumpers.

tried it, nothing happens.

could it be the CPU? or would I at least get a fan spin, if even for a second, no matter the status of the CPU?

If it's getting power, the fan should at least spin. I'm surprised your board doesn't have a power LED. I'd be willing to bet it does, but it's not turning on since the board isn't getting any power. Since you know the PSU works, I'd replace the board.

Hey guys, sorry for the slow update. Well, your gonna get a good laugh at this one:

I forgot the use the mobo spacers. So it was grounding out. Put in the spacers, and it was fine!

Back
Top Bottom