Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-03-2008, 05:17 AM   #1
Fully Optimized
Default Hmmm..External Hard Drive Problem....haulting boot at OS load screen...

Well...I finally got my new 750GB drive from seagate yesterday, and I stuck 'er into my nice new Rosewill external enclosure (USB + eSATA). I booted into XP to use PartionMagic and formated the entire drive as NTFS. You have to use USB to do this...I'm not sure why..But anywho...so I went on my merry way, and just left the sucker plugged in. Well, I then went to boot into Vista, and....*drum roll please*...it freezes at the Vista boot screen (with the progress bar at the bottom, ya know?)...so I figured, hmm...maybe something isn't being peachy with Vista, so I decided to boot into XP....and that's a no go too.....it freezes at the XP boot screen too.

In bios I have it set to boot HDD first (my internal, btw)..and 2,3, and 4 disabled as I always have had. It seems to only "not freeze" while loading either OS if I don't turn the exclosure on until AFTER it boots into either XP or Vista. At first I thought it was my overclock to 3.2ghz on my e8400 that was doing it, so I defaulted BIOS and just changed the boot order, but it was still a no-go until I shut off the external enclosure.

This is getting really long for a small problem, hehehe..any help is appreciated. BTW, how do I enable eSATA support? I seem to not be able to get it to work...I saw somewhere that I need to install the Jmicron raid controller for my Asus board??

BTW: I'm currently running SeaTools diagnostic, but it'll probably turn up just fine. I'm running the full check, so it'll be a while before I report back with the results!

Edit: No one?
Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.4GHz || GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 || Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 || EVGA GeForce GTX 480 || Samsung EVO 256GB SSD
my feet get cold and that gives me diarrhea sometimes - Smart_Guy
dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote