Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-23-2006, 08:42 AM   #1
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to Toby Send a message via Yahoo to Toby
Default HIPS (Host-based intrusion-prevention system)

Hey everyone, I'm just wondering what HIPS (and on a broarder scale the overall security and optimisation) software you use, if any?

I'm currently testing out DefenseWall 1.73.

Any recommendations?

Currently my security and optimisation set up is this:

AntiVirus: Nod32 2.70.16 - With Anti-Stelth Technology on and all extra settings.
AntiSpyware: Spyware Blaster 3.54, Spy Sweeper 5.2 - All sheilds on.
Firewall: Outpost Firewall Pro 4.0 - Set to Block Most.
HIPS: DefenseWall 1.73 - Set as default.
Other: Diskeeper 10 - Set to automatically defrag when needed. Window Washer 6.0 - Set to erase all junk/temp files every time windows shuts down. TuneUp Utilities 2007 - Set to do a 1 click system maintenance every day at 5:00 pm.

Dell Inspiron 9400 Notebook 120GB 5400RPM SATA HDD, 500GB 7200RPM SATA External HDD, DVD+-RW, DVD+-RW External, Mobile Intel Calistoga i945PM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GhZ, 2GB DDR2-667MhZ Dual Channel SDRAM, Nvidia GeForce GO 7900 GS 256MB Single-Pipe.
TinyXP Rev05, PerfectDisk, TuneUp Utilities, Window Washer, Nod32, Bo-Clean, SuperAntiSpyware Pro, Spyware Blaster, Comodo Firewall Pro.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:56 AM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Hips.

You got your PC tighter then a fish's ahole. I got NOD32 the kill the bad viruses and Spybot to kill the other bad dudes and a secret all powerful firewall to block fires burning my corn fields. Also did i add i have lazers, everywhere, lazer... ZAP

joelbeveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:01 AM   #3
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelbeveridge
You got your PC tighter then a fish's ahole. I got NOD32 the kill the bad viruses and Spybot to kill the other bad dudes and a secret all powerful firewall to block fires burning my corn fields. Also did i add i have lazers, everywhere, lazer... ZAP
Lol, cool.

Well, I figure, you can never have a computer locked down too tightly... There's always explots.

And it's always good to keep it running smoothly. Especially when you have a crappy CPU like a Celeron.
Dell Inspiron 9400 Notebook 120GB 5400RPM SATA HDD, 500GB 7200RPM SATA External HDD, DVD+-RW, DVD+-RW External, Mobile Intel Calistoga i945PM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GhZ, 2GB DDR2-667MhZ Dual Channel SDRAM, Nvidia GeForce GO 7900 GS 256MB Single-Pipe.
TinyXP Rev05, PerfectDisk, TuneUp Utilities, Window Washer, Nod32, Bo-Clean, SuperAntiSpyware Pro, Spyware Blaster, Comodo Firewall Pro.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:02 AM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

AntiVirus: Nod32
AntiSpyware: Spy Sweeper, Spyware doctor, Windows defender
Firewall: Hardware firewall and windows firewall
Other: Diskeeper, Window Washer, TuneUp Utilities 2006, Registry mechanic, CCleaner
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:08 AM   #5
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffaz
AntiVirus: Nod32
AntiSpyware: Spy Sweeper, Spyware doctor, Windows defender
Firewall: Hardware firewall and windows firewall
Other: Diskeeper, Window Washer, TuneUp Utilities 2006, Registry mechanic, CCleaner
Do Registry Mechanic and CCleaner pick up more than TuneUp and Window Washer? Spyware Doctor did get rid of something that Spy Sweeper couldn't, but I still prefer Spy Sweeper.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:14 AM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

I think the more spyware stuff you use the better your protected, i use others aswell, but cant be bothered to list them lol
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:49 PM   #7
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

First off I use Microsoft Defender and AVG Antivirus, and at a network level I use a Cisco 831 router with CBAC.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:05 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

I think you're pretty well set. I would say use spyware doctor as opposed to spysweeper since it seems more stable and doesn't crash a lot but if it's working for you then keep it, they're both great at detecting spyware.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:12 PM   #9
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby
Lol, cool.

Well, I figure, you can never have a computer locked down too tightly... There's always explots.

And it's always good to keep it running smoothly. Especially when you have a crappy CPU like a Celeron.
Lol, i remember when i had my Celeron it would hardly run an anti-virus as well as a firewall and all that other stuff lol....

Matt

EDIT:

Heres Mine:
Anti-Virus: Avast! Professional
Firewall: Windows Firewall/Netgear DG834 Hardware Firewall
Spyware: Ad-Aware, Spybot
Other: TuneUp 2007, Diskeeper
Mattyl110792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 04:27 PM   #10
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy