Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default High Priorty & CPu Affinity

Hello i have some questions.

[Some] Of you may know that I'm tryng to get AA3 to run at a good smooth performance. On some AA3 Tweek guides.

1)
There's one saying put the Priority to high on start-up
Quote:
2) Next, we are going to work a little magic on the shortcut, by adding a DOS command to start AA3 in High Priority mode. Right-click on your AA3 shortcut, and select Properties. Under the Shortcut tab, click in the Target box, then move over to the beginning of the path text (should read: "X:\Program Files\USArmy\America's Army 3\Binaries\AA3Game.exe").

3) Next, paste this before that path: X:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c start "runhigh" /high.

4) The full path should read: X:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c start "runhigh" /high "X:\Program Files\USArmy\America's Army 3\Binaries\AA3Game.exe"
So if i put the Priority high for the game, when i'm running the game on High Priority, will it damage my PC or harm it in anyway?

2)
They told me to use some CPU Affinity guide
Quote:
Setting processor affinity, for those that have multi-core CPUs:
http://www.techenclave.com/gui...17.html
Here is the guide link- http://www.techenclave.com/guides-an...asy-67317.html
What does this CPU Affinity do?
Will it help my computer perform and run things better?
Or will it damage or harm my PC?

Thank you very much for you time, it's really appriciated.

Bhavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
j03
~~~~~~~~

Send a message via MSN to j03
Default Re: High Priorty & CPu Affinity

Setting the priority wont hurt your PC in any way - It will simply give the selected process a higher priority over other applications. If your not running other programs at the same time, then you proberbly dont need to change the priority - Allthough it might make a bit of a difference.

You can change the affinity of a program, which basically makes it use different processor cores. If the program is multi-threaded, then it will use all processor cores, but if it is single threaded then it will use only one. Most of the time windows does a good job of managing which program uses which core(s), so you can often leave the affinity alone as well. If you where running four single threaded programs, then you could tell each program to use a different core... although windows would probably do that for you.

j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Ok, I'm on vista and have 1.8GHz quad core, and trying to play America's Army 3, which i am guessing uses more than one core so i'll leave the Affinity alone, and just set the priority higher.

Thanks bud
Old 08-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhavik View Post
Ok, I'm on vista and have 1.8GHz quad core, and trying to play America's Army 3, which i am guessing uses more than one core so i'll leave the Affinity alone, and just set the priority higher.

Thanks bud
Yeah, but if you have a quad core (sounds like it's clocked low though) it's mostly the video card that's having trouble keeping up, I would suggest upgrading it. Also, if it is the video card that's the bottleneck, then making it a higher priority won't do much. And what processor do you have, I've never heard of a quad core clocked under 2.3ghz :-/
Old 08-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #5
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonSGKing View Post
Yeah, but if you have a quad core (sounds like it's clocked low though) it's mostly the video card that's having trouble keeping up, I would suggest upgrading it. Also, if it is the video card that's the bottleneck, then making it a higher priority won't do much. And what processor do you have, I've never heard of a quad core clocked under 2.3ghz :-/
Erm I think it's,
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9150e Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~1.8GHz

Here's my DXDiag ~ http://pastebin.com/m3091eba5

« upgrade cpu | Fsb »