high pitched/loud processor

mattbirk

Solid State Member
My processor is running very loud and high pitched and I was wondering why, and if there was anything I can do to make it stop. Heres what I got:

Asus P4P800 SE Intel Socket 478 ATX Motherboard / Audio / AGP 8x / Gigabit LAN / S/PDIF / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA / RAID

Intel P4 3.0Ghz Socket 478 800 Mhz 32 bit

Seagate 250GB EIDE HD 7200/8MB/ATA-100

Ultra 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory

2-DVD-Roms

It seems to have gotten louder than it used to be, but it used to be all silent. Ive tried blowing out the dust in all the fans with compressed air.

your help is appreciated.

thanks
Matt

Are you sure it's coming from the CPU area and not the power supply or anything else? If it is indeed from the CPU, the fan is most likely getting ready to die and need replacing.

after i listened more closely it does sound like it is probably coming from the power supply.
i can here it get a little louder when i maximize/minimize a window or when i use the scroll on the mouse. it basically gets louder everytime i do something on the computer, even sometimes just moving the mouse.

That's really weird. Power supply quality is vital to your computer, since if it decides to go to heaven, it may take parts from your computer with it.

One thing you could do is physically stop the fan to see if it's the fan or the power supply itself. Don't just jab a pencil in there though, try to slow it down gradually if you can. Broken blades are not fun.

I just checked and none of the fans are the problem. I stopped each one individually, even the power supply fan, and the noise still remains the same. Im in betweer it being the power supply and the processor, but thinking it is the power supply. How do I go about finding out which is my problem?

Thanks

Edit: I actually know its not the fans since the noise gets louder when I do things such as scroll with the mouse, maximize/minimize windows, etc.

I have an LCD monitor, and Im sure its coming from either the power supply or the processor.

Maybe it's the fan in the power supply. You'll have to put your ear right behind it to hear. Or give it a whiff to see if there's any burning smell. So the CPU fan is not the culprit? Sometime, the fan can speed up or speed down whenever you're doing something in Windows. If there's a lot of processing activity, the fan will speed up to compensate for the higher heat buildup.

I had a cheap PSU that did that, not very sure why but it wasn't coming from the fan. It would keep making a high pitch click sound every half second. When I scroll the mouse it keeps clicking very fast. I took it out of the comp and I never tried it again. Again I don't know or care because it was cheap anyways. Just get a new PSU before something happens and you lose a mobo or a cpu

Back
Top Bottom