High pitch noise from psu

TP-Oreilly

In Runtime
Hi all,

The answer to my question is pretty obvious, send my psu back and get a new one... but i just want to see if any of you have had the same problem and if youve fixed it somehow, so i can avoid the trouble of getting a new one.

Last night, i noticed a squeaky sound coming from my computer, after taking it apart and testing different parts, i found out that it is my psu, but the funny thing is, is that the squeaky sound doesnt start straight away, it only starts when my pc gets to the welcome screen of load up. Its not loud, but i can notice it.

I never thought of that, thanks, ill try it tomorrow when i get home, any other suggestions anyone???? ive only had it about 5 weeks, its an ocz fatal1ty, not a cheap one :(

Plus, if it does need oiling, wouldnt it make the noise straight from when i turn it on, instead of about 30 seconds after

ive just been told to neverrrrrr oil pc parts lol :s

That sounds like advise from someone who has lots of extra money he doesn't mind wasting. Or maybe I'm just incredibly cheap... If you're not comfortable taking your PSU and fan apart, then don't do it. The only reason I even suggested oiling the PSU fan is because I had the exact same problem with my PSU a little over a year ago. A little cleaning and a drop or two of oil and my PSU is still running fine to this day.

It's most likely just the capacitors. Usually its lower end ones that do this, but some quality ones do it as well. One of my power supplies do it as well, and it's been running strong for a year an a half now with constant use.

Back
Top Bottom