Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-15-2006, 05:08 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default A high pitch noise coming from the power adapter after taking laptop apart

This strikes me as kinda odd - I took my laptop apart to clean the heatsink, put it all back together (as carefully as I could) and when I turned it on (on battery) nothing happened.

When I plugged the AC adapter into it, it (the adapter) made a high pitch noise which went on and off about once a second - something that's never happened before. Also, it sparked a few times when I put it in!

No lights on the PC came on - not even a short blast of the fans, indicating that the problem's bigger than the CPU being not locked - it was all working before!

I've probably fried just about every component in the machine, but if anybody has any suggestions as to what went wrong and how to fix it, I'd be eternally grateful

I've never, ever had any problems with that power adapter, so I think we can rule that out...

harveycarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:33 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to LambOfGod
Default Re: A high pitch noise coming from the power adapter after taking laptop apart

So you are getting NO video whatsoever with this laptop, plugged in or not.

1.Pull the battery out.
2.Plug it into the wall and try it.
3. Plug another (known working powersupply for that laptop) into it.
4. Plug a monitor into the back of it CRT/LCD anything and try to turn it on.
5. Try it again, by pressing the Function F5 F7 (the F* key that has a pic of two screens on it ) to attempt to toggle between the two displays

If those dont work you may have quite possible fried your motherboard

LambOfGod- Q6600 g0 @ 3.06 Ghz * DFI LANPARTY DK X48-T2RS * Antec 1200 * Rosewill RP550 PSU * EVGA 8800 GTX Superclocked *WD 74GB Raptor * 2 X Seagate 1TB 7200.11 (RAID 1) * 4 GB DDR2 1022 GSKILL 5-5-5-13 * Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit/Windows XP 64 Bit
LambOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:05 PM   #3
In Runtime

Default Re: A high pitch noise coming from the power adapter after taking laptop apart

what type of laptop is it? Do you still have it under warranty with the makers of the laptop? Mate it sounds like you have fryied your mainboard. What little LED's do you have on the laptop when your plug it in with just AC adpt power.
joelbeveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:32 AM   #4
Solid State Member

Hi guys - thanks for the replies.

It's a Samsung V25, and it's warranty expired ages ago.

The laptop does absolutely nothing when turned on - no lights, no fans, nothing. Even without a CPU and RAM, it would normally at least whir and a charging light would come on.

When I plug it into just the power (no battery), the same thing happens and the AC adapter just makes a high pitch noise. The AC adapter's little LED goes off when plugged into the laptop, and absolutely no power indicators come light up on the laptop.

Another thing that's kinda weird I've noticed is the sparks when I plug it in - plug/unplug it a few times and it's smokin'!

It seems pretty clear that the motherboard is friiieeeed - anyone want to hazard a guess at the wellbeing of the other components (CPU, RAM, wireless card, HD...)? Also, just so I don't make the same mistake next time, what sorta thing would cause this problem?

Cheers.
harveycarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:53 AM   #5
Golden Master

Well, battery could have been discharged, but that Power plug is fried.
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote