hi-speed usb flash drive disconnects and reconnects while reading/writing files on it

sebaseba

Beta member
Hi everyone!
I've just bought a new 16gb hi-speed usb flash drive, but I'm experiencing problems with it. When I first connect it to my laptop(a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Li1705), it is recognised properly and seems ready to use. As I start transferring data, after about one minute (or maybe even less) it disconnects on its own, and immediately reconnects. Obviously the copy process is interrupted, and I have to start it over. It goes on disconnecting and reconnecting, until at last it seems to stabilise, but it works very slowly after that, and the "your device can perform faster" message appears.
When I first start copying or pasting files, the initial speed is about 18-20 Mb/s, but at last when it stabilises(after disconnecting and reconnecting a couple of times), the speed drops to a maximum of nearly 900kb/s. I've tried my new usb key on tree other laptops, an HP, an Asus and an Acer, and it works quite fine, without any problems, except for one thing: the copy speed is only 6Mb, not 18-20! I'm running windows Vista ultimate sp1, but i've also tried to set up win xp sp3, and the problem persisted. I have a via usb enhanced host controller, I've already tried to update usb drivers for my system, and they are all up-to-date.
The new USB flashdrive is the only usb device that makes my system behave this way. I've also got an external samsung HDD, 1TB capacity, USB 2.0 and several other usb2.0 flashdrives (with 1-2 gb capacity), and they all work fine. Is it possible that the usb ports aren't able to supply enough power to the new flashdrive? But if so, then it should not even be recognized, and it wouldn't even start to work. I'm clueless at the moment... does anyone have an idea about this problem? thanks in advance.

I've just noticed that my flashdrive doesn't disconnect until I start copying into or from it. Any idea?

Back
Top Bottom