Hey I'm stumped

HRHunteRHR

BSOD
So my friend brought over his computer while he spent the night two days ago (he stayed until today) and it turned on for not even 1 second. Now, my computer did this and I was stumped for a week; then I found out a screw was grounding it out. Well we even took OUT his motherboard, turned it on while he was holding it (with cables plugged in) by the fan heat sink. It stil ldid that ground out looking thing. Everything turned on for not even a second then turned off. Now he has put it back together and everything, triple, or quadruple checked it for metal touching it. I suggested a new power supply. Everything is plugged in with the exception of the reset button. My old socket 754 64 bit 2800 used to do that and I always held down the reset button while I turned it on, but since he didn't plug the reset piece in he can't do that. There has to be a logical answer to this, and I am asking you guys to help me. If I'm even stumped... -it's something I have NEVER encountered.

that is pretty weird the only time thats ever happened to me is if ive overclocked to high and it doesnt even let me turn the comp on for a sec just like this comp is doing, i usually fix it by resetting the cmos with the jumper on the motherboard so u can give that a try, if that doesnt work them im stumped to

Snap! I should have done that!!! GOod thinking. I'm not even going to try to help him over the phone or AIM though, I doubt he will know where the cmos jumpers are.

Hmmm, I have had very weird problems with power before. Once I had thought I freid my CPU because I couldn't even boot into BIOS, or Windows or even Linux! One of the problems was the cable that runs from the CD drive to the mothboard got part way trapped underneath the heatsink. Fixed that, still nothing. Then it turned out it was the placement on the RAM. One of my sticks of RAM didn't leik the slot it was in! So, switched them, then it worked!

But, as far as your issue goes. I don't know. Instead of looking for screws and whatnot grounding it, try checkign somethgin inside the power supply. It had to have been caused from when the computer was moved. So somethign must have been loose and is causing it to ground or something. Also, check ALL heatsinks. because if somethign gets to hot it might automatically shut down. At least that was the case for my Pentium III box I have!

reset the cmos by removing and replacing the jumperas if there are not any labled jumpers there shpould be a swithch this is most defently labled cmos

Try a different PSU first, then try cmos reset. Is there anything stuck to the mobo at all, something metal? Give it a good shake and see if anything comes off.

Thats really wierd, I did that once and id forgotton to put those little stand offs...in lol...ahh

Back
Top Bottom