Hey, I'm new here. I had some questions.

TYL3R

Beta member
Hey, I'm new to these forums. I really enjoy working with computers and all things related. Lol, I had quite a pathetic excuse for a computer for a good few years. It was a bare-boned Dell desktop with only 256MBs of RAM, that was it's max. It had no graphics card and barely a sound card. Lol, luckily, I eventually was able to upgrade with the family's old beat up laptop. It was really slow when I got it, and the speakers were shot. However, I decided to put a gig of RAM in it, I bought some permanent speakers, which are now mounted on it... Unfortunately, I cannot upgrade the graphics card due to the fact it is a limited computer. So, I can't do any high-end gaming, but I can still play some Starcraft and that satisfies me greatly. Lol. Anyways, sorry to ramble on, I'm just giving some background on my computer. Lol.

Anyway, my question was, I want to try and install Linux on here as an OS. I'm not sure, however, whether it'd be worthwhile removing XP to do so. Is it? Does it run games the same? And if I install a new OS, does it remove all my anti-virus programs and such? Also, would installing a new OS remove all my previously save documents and games? Lol, thank you for answering any questions. As you can see, I'm still pretty new to this and would greatly appreciate any help. Again, thanks. :D

By the way, here is my computer model:

Dell Inspiron 2005 700m.

Anyway, my question was, I want to try and install Linux on here as an OS. I'm not sure, however, whether it'd be worthwhile removing XP to do so. Is it? Does it run games the same? And if I install a new OS, does it remove all my anti-virus programs and such? Also, would installing a new OS remove all my previously save documents and games? Lol, thank you for answering any questions. As you can see, I'm still pretty new to this and would greatly appreciate any help. Again, thanks. :D

well linux does NOT run the same games as Windows does, and you will not be able to open your files because linux and windows use differetn runtime envirments, windows runs nativly .exe, but linux does not... you can install wine which will be able to run SOME windows files/games.. but otherwise, its not going to be worth your time. Expecially a new user. and when installing linux your going to have to format the hard drive which erases all files..so you wont have a backup of your windows files because when you split your hard drive and install linux and windows on seperate partitions you cant seem to see the windows partition.

well linux does NOT run the same games as Windows does, and you will not be able to open your files because linux and windows use differetn runtime envirments, windows runs nativly .exe, but linux does not... you can install wine which will be able to run SOME windows files/games.. but otherwise, its not going to be worth your time. Expecially a new user. and when installing linux your going to have to format the hard drive which erases all files..so you wont have a backup of your windows files because when you split your hard drive and install linux and windows on seperate partitions you cant seem to see the windows partition.

Alright, thanks, that's all I needed to know. Haha, if that's the case then I won't undertake this anytime soon. Thanks again.

Alright, thanks, that's all I needed to know. Haha, if that's the case then I won't undertake this anytime soon. Thanks again.

yup no problem, if your unexperienced in the WINE area, u can still look into it, but my recommendations is to not go towards linux with your experience. (no offense)

Hi,

Spec I have to say that you are right and wrong with what you are say. You are right about the fact that WINE doesn't play all the games that windows can. That being said, I am curious to see what games the user wants to play because there is support for a lot of games.

Where I am going to have to disagree with you is in the formatting department. I have to say that while you will have to do a little formatting you aren't going to have to wipe your entire drive and then start from scratch. Every installer that I have used allows you to choose to use the remaining space on a hdd to install Linux. Also, it isn't that hard to partition your hdd with a certain amount of space. I have done it with a lot of people.

So what I am getting at without going on and on is that if you want to install linux, it isn't as hard as it might seem, and I would be more than willing to help you.

Cheers!

Hi,

Spec I have to say that you are right and wrong with what you are say. You are right about the fact that WINE doesn't play all the games that windows can. That being said, I am curious to see what games the user wants to play because there is support for a lot of games.

Where I am going to have to disagree with you is in the formatting department. I have to say that while you will have to do a little formatting you aren't going to have to wipe your entire drive and then start from scratch. Every installer that I have used allows you to choose to use the remaining space on a hdd to install Linux. Also, it isn't that hard to partition your hdd with a certain amount of space. I have done it with a lot of people.

So what I am getting at without going on and on is that if you want to install linux, it isn't as hard as it might seem, and I would be more than willing to help you.

Cheers!

what i am SAYING is the majority of those files will not run on Linux, and its going to be a pain in the ass for him to INSTALL wine.

Lol, thanks guys. All that stuff did help. I have decided, however, that I'll just stick with windows on this computer seeing as I have a few files and programs I'd need to have on my computer that I know wouldn't run on Linux. So, if I get another computer that I have the chance to revamp in the future I'll try Linux on that. Thanks again.

what i am SAYING is the majority of those files will not run on Linux, and its going to be a pain in the ass for him to INSTALL wine.

I am going to choose to agree to disagree on that one. It has gotten a lot easier to install and run wine. But I don't feel like arguing over it right now.

@TYL3R, I might recommend that you take a look at virtualbox. It is a program that allows you to run vms, that would be an option for you to set up a linux os and not have to fiddle with your hdd.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom