Hey I Need Help

TRACY

Beta member
Hey guys and gals i was wondering what would be a great upgrade to my system. i dont know to much. i bought a dell dimension 3000 intel pentium 4 2.8 GHz with 1 MB Cache 512 MB DDR SDRAM at 400 MHz. some of my games wont work w my system and it has seemed to slow down over the last 4 months after i bought it. what would be your suggestion as to get this crappy dell to run much better:)

first off i got a dell 9100, and same slow down thing happend to me. its just because junk gets piled up on ur computer. just do the standare spy-ware search, trojan, defrag the drive, ect.

<EDIT> this should be in the general computer hardware and software, section, sorry just had to point that out.

I know someone that absolutly hates Avg Free edition, he says virus, and trojans slip right though it. WHo knows if that is true?

I doubt it's true. AVG seems to be an exellent anti-virus, though I prefer AntiVir. But a firewall is more important than an anti-virus, my 2 anti-virus programs (avg and anti-vir) have picked up only 1 virus since I have been using this firewall (about 7 months now).

But just run those anti-virus/spyware scans, and make sure that u update the program before scanning. Then defrag ur harddrive. If u haven't formatted it since u bought it then there is most likely some crap software that they give u with the pc. Go to add/remove programs and remove stuff that u never use.

Also adding another 512mb ram should speed things up. Try to get one that is identical to the one that u have. Other stuff ain't that important but make sure that they are the same speed. (ddr400 in this case)

The games are probably not working because u have a crappy vid card.

mammikoura said:
I doubt it's true. AVG seems to be an exellent anti-virus, though I prefer AntiVir. But a firewall is more important than an anti-virus, my 2 anti-virus programs (avg and anti-vir) have picked up only 1 virus since I have been using this firewall (about 7 months now).

which firewall is that?

I use Norton Systemworks and it does the job, but when expired, I'll use either Panda or F-Secure 2006, so I think it's the way to go Tracy

I like Zonealarm Pro. It's a firewall and Anti Virus combined. Not difficult to use. The anti virus sigs are updated very often too.

Back
Top Bottom