Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-21-2005, 10:50 AM   #11
Baseband Member

Default Re: hey guys can you help me out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekornmeyer
Ok, I think I understand now. I thought the socket 939 wasn't that good, since there were so few of them for the athlon 64. But on the other hand, is there something below the athlon 64, that is more common use? That people use more often, because if tons of people were using athlon 64s.. I would think there would be more then 6 mobos for it.

There are dozens of Mobo's with the 939 socket, don't hestitate to buy it. A new board with an M2 socket is due out next year. If you want to take the time , pull up the links for the various Mobo manufactures and you will soon see the popularity of the 939 socket. The last time I looked, ASUS had 12 boards with 939 sockets for AMD CPU's. I think AMD is the best because it runs cooler, is less expensive and in my mind faster for the money than Intel. Others will argue that and go Intel. I opted for a non-SLI board and still had so many choices it took me days to make up my mind and then I changed my mind because a friend of mine in the building bussiness recommended a paticular GIGABYTE board and also an ABIT board because he has never had a return on them. If your inerested in SLI type boards, ASUS has a brand new one out that guys say is the best but the demand is so high no one can keep them in stock. I plan on building a gamer for my grandson and the new ASUS SLI board is my choice right now.

bill gisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:18 PM   #12
Solid State Member

I know that you keep saying there are tons of 939 socket mobos, but what I am telling you is that there are ONLY 6-7 that are compatible with the athlon 64 CPU, which is the CPU I was looking to buy. And for that reason, I was kind of worried about going with the Athlon 64,

ekornmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:19 PM   #13
Golden Master

Are you sure? Athlon 64's are totally mainstream right now. I can bring up quite a few of Socket 939 supported motherboards for the Athlon 64.

Look here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubmit=Property

More than 3/4 of the members on here use an Athlon 64 PC. I would say, it's pretty popular and well supported.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:26 PM   #14
In Runtime

you aren't searching for motherboards correctly, there should be 90+ mobos for socket 939. I think new egg has close to a hundred.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:22 PM   #15
Solid State Member

hmm I can't see what I was doing wrong, but thanks for that new search link TRD. And also to treehugger and bill.
ekornmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 04:23 AM   #16
In Runtime

i would highly suggest getting an asus, abit ,gigabyte, msi, dfi or even jetaway board