Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-23-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Hewlett Packard DV 8000 Laptop Won't Power On

I have a HP DV 8000 Laptop that is about two years old. Just recently the screen started flickering so I removed the bezel around the LCD display and removed the shell around the keyboard per some instructions I found regarding this issue. The screen flickering is not the reason I'm posting in this forum.

During my trouble shooting, I was unplugging and plugging the connectors from the LCD that connect to the mother board while the computer was on so I could test if a loose plug was the source of the screen flicker. I was using a set of metal pliers to pinch the plugs together (tiny plugs) and during the squeezing the computer suddenly shut down. I mean immediately. Not the normal shut down routine. It just "clicked" and went off and will not power on again.

I've tried the manual reset (take the battery out, unplug power cord, then hold down power button for 30 seconds) but that did not help. The laptop will not power one. It is as though I shorted something and blew a fuse. I know (and knew) that working on a laptop while powered up was risky but it was my only means of trouble shooting.

Do any of you know what I could check or repair in order to get my laptop to turn on again?

Thanks,

Mike

One more thing - I've not contacted HP Tech Support yet but will as a last resort.

Thanks,
Mike

mmcompute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
j03
~~~~~~~~

Send a message via MSN to j03
Default Re: Hewlett Packard DV 8000 Laptop Won't Power On

Oh dear. You could have made a short... Maybe. I really cant see what else it could be. If you contacted tech support, then they would just ask you to send it in (if it was in warranty)

j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:24 AM   #3
Beta Member

Default Re: Hewlett Packard DV 8000 Laptop Won't Power On

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03 View Post
Oh dear. You could have made a short... Maybe. I really cant see what else it could be. If you contacted tech support, then they would just ask you to send it in (if it was in warranty)
Yes. I'm sure I shorted something but there is no way to tell what was damaged during the short without some type of "board level" repair. I'm still considering buying a $185 refurbished motherboard and a used LCD screen for $125.00. That would keep my repair costs low but I'm not sure if I have the skills necessary to do the repairs. I really can't afford a new laptop right now.

Thanks.
mmcompute is offline   Reply With Quote