HELP - X1900XT HIGH Temperatures - QUICK reply please! :D

Shantei

In Runtime
Just a few moments ago I was playing Oblivion as you do when I noticed (when I'm indoors! - although Iv'e added mods to improve texture quality, etc.) the screen kept doing ever so slight flashes and I immediately assumed it was the GPU overheating .. so I closed Oblivion to notice that there was a message from my ATi CCC saying temperatures were too high and we're reducing the clock settings down, please check that fans are working correctly .. or something along those lines. So it basically was running at over a 100 degrees centigrade or around there .. it's not actually displayed this message before so this is the most extreme it's ever got, although I know it runs at high temperatures before. So what has happened here? Is it because the summer time? I could really use advice right now.

Thanks very much in advance.

open up your case see if fans are running correctly make sure case is properly venterlated
then if there is still a problem contact ati and see is your card is still under warenty
if its not try taking the fan off cleaning off theremel grease and apply artic silver 5
if that dosnt work get a new after market or replacement fan for your card

Right I just downloaded ATITool and set my own fan settings accordingly:

Above 80degrees - 82%
Above 85degrees - 91%
Above 90degrees - 100%
Above 95degrees - 100%
Above 100degrees - 100%

I then moved my pc from my desk (theres a short gap between the air gap of the GPU and a wall, a few inches) .. opened up the case. Then I opened up my window and my door and played Oblivion and went to a very think forest area running at 90 degrees centigrade... How's that?

UK - temperature I'm not sure .. it's a sunny day and it's probably between 18 and 20 degrees. (Windows open) -- the fan runs fine I believe.

Just ran it again and closed Oblivion to find the temp at 95 degrees centigrade .. possibly slightly more if it INSTANTLY closed, but not sure.

It's not the ambient temperature then. That's not hot enough to impact it.

Sounds like the airflow wasn't quite right...maybe the computer was too close to the desk??

You should be able to enable logging the temperature to a file so you can see what the temperatures were in game.

Hmm would all you guys say this is far too high and something is faulty? Therefore I shall call up and ask for a replacement (hasn't been a year yet since I got it)...

Back
Top Bottom