Help: Windows not loading

Nimandir

Baseband Member
Bought a new computer recently with windows vista. It was a badly needed upgrade from windows 98se (I know, it was about time)

I've been very happy with my new computer dispite the occasional comments saying that I'd be better off with XP... oh well... vista is sitll better than 98se.

My problem is that I turned on my computer that has been working normally until now and after the boot information, or whatever you call it, finished I don't see the windows logo or login screen... just a black screen. I unhooked it from my hd tv, which has been displaying very nicely, and hooked it up with my old computer's monitor. The only thing the moniter shows a blinking underscore at the top right of the screen.

I've left the computer on hoping that things were just taking loading slowly dispite it having a quad core processor. I remember changing the computer's refreash rate which helped when I was playing TES4 Oblivion. I hope that didn't cause it. I'm trying to figure out which key to hold to boot up in safe mode. F5 doesn't seem to be the right one :p

I'd greatly appriciate any help or insite about this problem.

Oh, I'll go ahead and show this if it is of any help:

Processor: AMD Phenom 9500
3GB of DDR2 memory
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT

I'd run a dxdiag but... can't get anything to show on screen yet

f8 = safe mode

is there a cd in the drive?
also are there any buttons on the monitor/tv to change the settings?

oh, and this is in the wrong section, but never mind :p

Back
Top Bottom