(HELP) VGA not working

sound22

Beta member
Hey im new to the whole computer building and getting the right pieces together i've actually been teaching myself by reading books and everything but i need help i been asking on yahoo answers but then i was referred here i was given an old computer which was working fine up until a few days ago when i turned it on and nothing happend i heard the computer start up as normal but the screen stayed the same i took a peek inside and found everything to appear normal. when i restarted it a few times and nothing happend i went out and bought a graphics card...i thought it was the vga port but its the same i dont know what to do or what the problem is...the computer is a dell XP and i tried installing a nvidia geforce 8400gs graphics card. the problem is the screen stays black and theres nothing going on. i unplug the vga and i know the moniter isnt the problem because it works fine with my other computer

find the battery on the motherboard, next to it somewhere there should be three pins with a jacket over two of them.

cmos_jumper.jpg

use some needle-nose pliers, pull the jacket off, and insert it over the center pin, and the pin that it wasnt covering before (essentially swapping sides)

leave it a second or two, then replace it how it was originally.

alternatively, you can pull the CMOS battery out, but this can actually end up being fiddlier.

Back
Top Bottom