help upgrading video card

Legenocide

Solid State Member
im a newbie at this stuff but im planning on upgrading my radeon 9600 pro to a radeon x850 but i don't know whether i want it AGP or PCI. i don't even know if it matters or not, but can someone tell me which slot is which on this picture.

computer.JPG

haha. thats not very much, no offense. how recent is your comp? lol. thats an agp because i dont think the 9600 came in pci e. lol. get an agp x850. thats a sweet card btw...

Yeah that picture doesn't help at all, but the 9600 never came in PCI-E so get the AGP version and be prepared to be in gaming heaven.

x850 is only available pci-express. You'll have to buy a new motherboard if you really want it. But do you really need that much power? A 6800gt will do you for a while yet (and you can get it agp). Just make sure your power supply is at least 380watts.

I can't be sure but that board does seem rather old and probably wouldn't support an 8x AGP interface.
This doesn't mean it wouldn't be able to use a card as powerful as that since it'll still support a 2x AGP interface which the card would lower down to.

This wouldn't cause that many problems either though, except the card might not run as fast as a motherboard running at 8x, and some effects might not work.

For example Need For Speed Underground when I had a 4x interface on a 8x card, the motion blur didn't work, but as soon as I updated, this kicked in.

I wouldn't get a card as good as a x850 in that case, I would go with a Geforce 6600 GT in a PC like that. It will run latest games rather well too. Or a 6800 like 99tollop says

Back
Top Bottom