help with Truecrypt

paintballpunk43

Baseband Member
Hi I want to secure a flash drive that has some sensitive data on it. So I'm thinking about using Truecrypt. I know Truecrypt is very secure but I'm unsure that the place I want to access the file at will be able to mount and access the file. The computer the I want to access it on doesn't have Truecrypt installed on it.

The question is how do I mount and access the file on a computer that doesn't have decrypt installed on it?

if not what program would allow me to do this?

Traveller Mode
TrueCrypt can run in so-called ‘traveller' mode, which means that it does not have to be installed
on the operating system under which it is run. However, there are two things to keep in mind:

1) You need administrator privileges in order to able to run TrueCrypt in ‘traveller' mode.
2) After examining the registry file, it may be possible to tell that TrueCrypt was run (and that a
TrueCrypt volume was mounted) on a Windows system even if it is run in traveller mode.

If you need to solve these problems, we recommend using BartPE for this purpose. For further
information on BartPE, see the question “Is it possible to use TrueCrypt without leaving any 'traces'
on Windows?” in the section Frequently Asked Questions.

There are two ways to run TrueCrypt in ‘traveller' mode:

1) After you unpack the binary distribution archive, you can directly run TrueCrypt.exe.
2) You can use the Traveller Disk Setup facility to prepare a special ‘traveller' disk and launch
TrueCrypt from there.

The second option has several advantages, which are described in the following sections in this
chapter.

Note: When running in 'traveller' mode, the TrueCrypt driver is unloaded when it is no longer needed (e.g.,
when all instances of the main application and/or of the Volume Creation Wizard are closed and no
TrueCrypt volumes are mounted). However, if you force dismount on a TrueCrypt volume when TrueCrypt
runs in ‘traveller' mode, the TrueCrypt driver will not be unloaded when you exit TrueCrypt (it will be
unloaded only when you shut down or restart the system). This prevents various problems caused by a bug
in Windows (for instance, it would be impossible to start TrueCrypt again as long as there are applications
using the dismounted volume).

Tools -> Traveller Disk Setup

You can use this facility to prepare a special ‘traveller' disk and launch TrueCrypt from there. Note that TrueCrypt ‘traveller disk' is not a TrueCrypt volume but an unencrypted volume. A ‘traveller disk' contains TrueCrypt executable files and optionally the ‘autorun.inf' script (see the section
AutoRun Configuration below). After you select Tools -> Traveller Disk Setup, the Traveller Disk
Setup dialog box should appear. Some of the parameters that can be set within the dialog deserve
further explanation:

Include TrueCrypt Volume Creation Wizard
Check this option, if you need to create new TrueCrypt volumes using TrueCrypt run from the
‘traveller' disk you will create. Unchecking this option saves space on the ‘traveller' disk.

AutoRun Configuration (autorun.inf)

In this section, you can configure the ‘traveller disk' to automatically start TrueCrypt or mount a
specified TrueCrypt volume when the ‘traveller disk' is inserted. This is accomplished by creating a
special script file called ‘autorun.inf' on the traveller disk. This file is automatically executed by the
operating system each time the ‘traveller disk' is inserted. Note that this feature only works for
removable storage devices such as CD/DVD (Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista is required for
this feature to work on USB memory sticks) and only when it is enabled in the operating system.
Also note that the ‘autorun.inf' file must be in the root directory (i.e., for example G:\, X:\, or Y:\ etc.)
of an unencrypted disk in order for this feature to work.

Using TrueCrypt without Administrator Privileges

In Windows, a user who does not have administrator privileges can use TrueCrypt, but only after a
system administrator installs TrueCrypt on the system (or after the administrator gives the user
administrator privileges). The reason for that is that TrueCrypt needs a device driver to provide
transparent on-the-fly encryption/decryption, and users without administrator privileges cannot
install/start device drivers in Windows.
After a system administrator installs TrueCrypt on the system, users without administrator
privileges will be able to run TrueCrypt, mount/dismount any type of TrueCrypt volume, load/save
data from/to it, and create file-hosted TrueCrypt volumes on the system. However, users without
administrator privileges cannot encrypt/format partitions, cannot create NTFS volumes, cannot
install/uninstall TrueCrypt, cannot change passwords/keyfiles for TrueCrypt partitions/devices,
cannot backup/restore headers of TrueCrypt partitions/devices, and they cannot run TrueCrypt in
'traveller' mode.

SORRY, this is funky...this is straight off the PDF from the manual since i have it installed but haven't had to use the travellers type...I don't know how to explain it any better than they are putting here so I hope this helps!!

Zac

Back
Top Bottom