Help somethings wrong with my computer!

Chayse247

Baseband Member
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME! I went to turn on my fairly new custom built pc and I heard a small faint ringing noise and at died down quickly and then smoke came out from my power supply, now nothing turning on. When I plug the computer in a green LED turns on indicating Theres power but my computer doesn't function at all, I also check my motherboard and smelt everything and I don't see any damage, just what i described earlier about the power supply smelling and the noise that things make when they power down, kinda like that little whistle noise that things usually make. If I have anything that I need to replace please notify me, I don't have much money because I'm only 14 years old with no job. SOMEONE PLEASE REPLY SOON!

Sent from my iPod touch using Computer Forums

Chances are it's the power supply that has burnt out. Trouble is you cannot be sure of that. Something might have caused the power supply to burn out. A tecky would probably just replace the supply and hope it works there isn't a lot you can do to eliminate component boards without powering them up. You say that it's a "fairly new custom build." Did you build it or did someone else build it? If it was someone else I would get them to sort it out. If you built it then send the power supply back to whoever you bought it from and get a new one assuming it's still under guarantee of course. If you do replace the power supply then unplug everything from the mother board, hard drive, dvd player etc. Just plug the supply in to the motherboard and keep an eye on things. Any odd noises or smoke then remove the power super duper fast. If the power supply burns out again then you have a duff motherboard. If it powers up okay then plug each component back in one by one. Do not plug stuff back in with the power on. Turn off the machine and unplug it from the mains then plug the peripheral in again and then switch on watching for smoke and listening for odd noises. If everything plugs back in and things keep working then it was the power supply if not then whichever component causes a problem then that is the broken one and you will have to replace that. Don't forget that components burn out quite quickly but if your on the ball whilst replacing stuff you should be able to get the power off before any harm is done but that is NOT a guarantee I'm afraid. Hopefully it will just be the power supply that has burnt out and a new one will make it work. Just one other thing. You say it was custom built. Are you sure the power supply could handle the stuff you were powering up with it. You need to go for the biggest power supply you can afford. these days I would say that a 750 watt supply is a minimum and don't go cheap chinese. I'm not into "good" power supplies these days because i'm out of the computer building scene but there are some threads on here recommending good makes. No doubt someone will come on and give you some more advice and some names. Good luck.

It was not built by me, but instead the owner who is very familiar with computers. Thanks so much for your advice, and I have a 650w supply, my specs are:
CPU AMD FX4300 at 3.8GHz
Motherboard Asus M5A97 R2.0
Video Asus 260X 2GB DDR5 2 x DVI, HDMI and DP out
RAM 8GB DDR3
Hard Drive 1TB
DVD-RW, USB, Sound and Network Card
Again, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

You should take it back to the builder and let him sort it out.

By the way, what make is that PSU?

It was not built by me, but instead the owner who is very familiar with computers. Thanks so much for your advice, and I have a 650w supply, my specs are:
CPU AMD FX4300 at 3.8GHz
Motherboard Asus M5A97 R2.0
Video Asus 260X 2GB DDR5 2 x DVI, HDMI and DP out
RAM 8GB DDR3
Hard Drive 1TB
DVD-RW, USB, Sound and Network Card
Again, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Okay well nothing untoward there. My advice still stands. What I have said is the way that I would go about repairing it. So basically you have two choices. Get down and dirty and get in there yourself and sort it or take it back to the guy who built it and tell him to sort it out. You say you are 14 and don't have much money, which I can understand, but if that is the case then your best bet is to take it back and tell the builder it's broken and let him do it because if you do it you are going to have to buy, at least, a new power supply and as I have said do not go for the cheap as chips chinese ones get a decent one. Good luck

Celery, it's a 650W Antec. And Pete, thanks for your consideration, my absolute max limit is $100 to spend. I just sent out an email to the person I bought it off of asking if he's got a warranty of if he'll check it out, otherwise I guess I'm buying a new power supply.

I messaged him, turns our he doesn't have a warranty anymore but he has a spare 500W supply that he can install for me free of charge, he said that 500W is good up to 270X (Mines an Asus 260x)

HHMM okay. We do not know how old your computer is or how old the power supply is. But there should be a years warranty on all the parts used assuming that they weren't old parts in the first place.

Anyway a 500W fitted for free sounds okay although I would let the builder guy do the work. That way if something else burns the PSU out then it is his responsibility. I think I would still go for a higher wattage if you can. Maybe offer him some of your $100 to go for a better one. It cannot hurt to try.

Back
Top Bottom