Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-23-2006, 09:11 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to D-Lew
Unhappy (Fixed) Retention bracket broken

Hi, guys. I need some advice. My retention bracket broke today and I need a new one. I have a socket AM2 board, so it only has 1 tab on each side, unlike the 939 bracket, which had 3 per side.
I'm using a 939 cooling solution right now, it was supposed to work but the plastic on my bracket was really cheap. It was a clean break, looks like a plastic weld. My question is, what should I do? I kind of don't want to buy another stock one since I've seen some with the three tabs. They are the Thermalright rev. a and b brackets, but my question is were the original heatsinks for these designed for the 939? If that's the case, I assume the bracket is the same as the 939 bracket, just designed to fit on the 4-screw mount of the AM2 board rather than the 2 screw mount of the 939 boards.

In short: Will one or both of the Thermalright AM2 brackets work with my 939 Arctic Cooling Freezer64 Pro? Thanks.

D-Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:42 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to D-Lew
Default Re: Help! Retention bracket broken

Problem fixed. I sucked it up and bought a Thermalright AM2 rev.B retention bracket, thinking that if it didn't work, I could break out the Dremel and "convert" it to a standard AM2 bracket. Well, I had no need to. The HSF fits perfectly, and since this is modeled after the 939 bracket, it will be more stable since it now has 6 pins to hook on to instead of 2. I also got some Arctic Silver 5 but don't have an opinion yet because it hasn't broken in yet. Right now Probe says I'm at 34C (2.7GHz). Just FYI.
D-Lew is offline   Reply With Quote