HELP Resetting BIOS

SiGn

BSOD
My friend's computer screen is blank when he starts his computer, he used both his video cards and same thing happened. The reason it did this is because he messed with something in his BIOS and now he cannot get back into it. Is there a way to reset everything without going into the BIOS? I mean is there a way to like reset the BIOS and computer back to default or "normal"? I had a teacher once who told me to take out the battery and it should reset, well he tried that and it didn't work. So please someone help asap, this is very urgent

If he messed up with the BIOS then you will have to access it to reset it. Depending on the bios AMI or AWARD, he should have a documentation about his mobo as to the settings. It's no use to try to take the battery out. If the BIOS was messed up, then learn to repair your mess. Check every setting one by one. You'll be wiser the next time around.

wow can someone please help, he lives in canada i live in USA, there's nothing i can do for him exept tell him on phone or whatever, all he wants to do is reset his settings, there has to be a way...please help someone

well i heard of flashing your bios, but there mat be a draw back to doing this...So do it at your own risk.

Here is the site to tell you how to do it...

I might live in Canada, but a computer is a computer......If you can access the BIOS you should be able to reset it. Most can be accessed simply by pressing DELETE during bootup.
Now if your ROMBIOS was erased this is a different story. If you have documentation about the mobo, you should be able to get a BIOS and flash utility to do it. And like mr mixx says....at your own risk.
Normally on the intel website there are chipset indentification software, flash utilities and good lucks.

zero4zero said:
I might live in Canada, but a computer is a computer......If you can access the BIOS you should be able to reset it. Most can be accessed simply by pressing DELETE during bootup.
Now if your ROMBIOS was erased this is a different story. If you have documentation about the mobo, you should be able to get a BIOS and flash utility to do it. And like mr mixx says....at your own risk.
Normally on the intel website there are chipset indentification software, flash utilities and good lucks.

LOL, you completely mis understood me. I said my friend lives in Canada, I could care less where you live sir.

Just an observation...

But did you bother to unplug the computer from the wall when you removed the battery? The system board is still getting power to run the cmos from the power supply. This is so things like > Wake on Lan and Wake on Modem will function. The cmos chip and the clock called the RTC are still getting juice.

lol yes that was done by him :) I swear taking the battery out and putting it back in resets the BIOS so he should be able to get back into and change his settings again. He said the reason it happened it because he messed with some of his onboard settings like onboard sound and stuff. Anyone else have ideas? Thanx

You mean, the screen goes black after booting windows?

I'm sure there is a way of resetting it, infact i'm positive there is...

I'll research...

http://www.dewassoc.com/support/bios/bios_password.htm

This is a little snip from it. It has pictures too, and even though it is about erasing a BIOS password, it'll do the same thing :)

Option #1: Mechanically Removing the Password

Most motherboards manufactured over the last decade or more use a battery to sustain the dynamic Bios/CMOS settings for the motherboards PROM chip. These dynamic settings are those manually set by either the computers manufacturer or you, the user. There are two ways to erase these dynamic settings, by either resetting a jumper on the motherboard itself (referred to as a "clear CMOS" jumper), or by physically remove the power from the computer (disconnecting the power plug) and then removing a battery (used to maintain power to the PROM chip that contains the Bios/CMOS information) from the motherboard.

Motherboard Jumpers:

Some, but not all, motherboard manufacturers provide a set of three jumpers on their motherboards that provide you with the ability to clear the Bios/CMOS settings, thereby allowing them to be reset. For the most part this is used when the Bios/CMOS data becomes scrambled and you need to clear the Bios/CMOS in order to return the computer to a functional state. This same procedure, however, can be used to clear passwords from the Bios/CMOS setup. Typically a jumper will be found across pins #1 and #2 as the default position, and by shutting the computer down, unplugging the power cord and then moving the jumper so that it is across pins #2 and #3 will clear the Bios/CMOS settings.

etc...

Hope this helps
*KaGe*

Back
Top Bottom