Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-26-2005, 11:06 AM   #1
Solid State Member
Default Help With Registry Deletions

Howdy All,

I was wondering if someone could refresh me on the procedure to delete unwaneted reminents of programs from my registry. I know it can be tricky business with the possiblility of nasty results if not done correctly, but I'd still like to clean out this one particular program from running and I don't feel real comfortable going into the registry without knowing exactly what I'm doing or need to do. The problem I'm having is with AVG free antivirus program. I've redownloaded the program and tried Repair, re-installing/uninstalling through Add/Remove, uninstalling in safe mode through Add/Remove with nothing but some kind of error message and the program stops it's execution. At that point I seemed to have no choice other than to just deleted every instance I could find of AVG on C: using the search function for AVG or Grisoft and sucessfully removed all the visible components. The problem with deleting in this way is that it doesn't really uninstall anything as there's still goodies left behind in the registry trying to fire up and this is where I need your help. So I would greatly appreciate someone taking the time to give ma a tutorial on the procedure for backing up and the registry deletions. I've since installed Avast! home and it seems to be a very nice suite of freeware so I feel I'm protected in that regard. I'd just like to get the last of the AVG stuff cleaned off the old box. After manually deleting all I could find on the C: I went into the services and disabled the 2 instances of AVG that were running. It appears as now the only time I have any indication of AVG running is when I fire up outlook and get the AVG plug in error message comes up. Other than that all other programs seems to be running fine. I did run regedit and searched for AVG and found many instances, but wasn't sure what to do when I found them. I do have a pretty good handle on most stuff but this is a little beyond me and I don't want to mess up my whole box because I didn't want to ask for help..................hey I guess that's why you guys and gals are here

Thanks in advance,
maximus01can is offline   Reply With Quote

« MP3 Help | Scsi »