Help with reformatting

khoiey

Beta member
My corporate company went out of business and I got a free IBM laptop. I tried to reformat the laptop but it said couldn't find hard drive? I mean it works when I login with my username etc and Window is installed on it. Did the admin hide it or locked it or something?

Are you trying to format withing Windows or are you booting with a disc? You can't format within windows as Windows will be using files that a format would delete...

Matt

If you didnt get any CDs with it then if you want to format you will need to buy an XP CD.

I have a copy of XP pro sp2.

I tried to format it by booting it from CD. But it can't find the Hard drive. Weird!

If the computer is relatively new, it could well be a SATA harddrive, which the Windows disc doesn't recognize by default....If you have your motherboard CD, chuck that in and have a read of the Manual on how to create "A SATA Driver Disc" or similar. THen in the windows installation, when it is Loading FIles down the bottom, when i says "Press F6 to load RAID Drivers" or similar, press F6 and wait, it will then ask for the floppy u created, follow the steps and you should be right :)

Good Luck,

Matt

What happen if there is no floppy drive? =D

Mattyl110792 said:
If the computer is relatively new, it could well be a SATA harddrive, which the Windows disc doesn't recognize by default....If you have your motherboard CD, chuck that in and have a read of the Manual on how to create "A SATA Driver Disc" or similar. THen in the windows installation, when it is Loading FIles down the bottom, when i says "Press F6 to load RAID Drivers" or similar, press F6 and wait, it will then ask for the floppy u created, follow the steps and you should be right :)

Good Luck,

Matt

I was looking around a fair bit last night on Google and other places, and couldn't find a suitable solution...you can't get access to a floppy drive, not even for 5 minutes?

Maybe someone else has a solution?

Matt

actually, it's an IBM T-60.

Can the USB card be acting as floppy? If not maybe I can burn it onto a CD and put it in after press F6?

Back
Top Bottom