Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-21-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default HELP! Real Trouble

I have created a big problem for myself and I thought I would see if anyone on this forum might have answers, suggestions or know where I can go for help.

Like a Dumb SHI* I am I started working for a government agency and against policy I went out to various web sites. I need to erase any evidence of going to those sites.

I am on the leading edge of low technology. Some of my thoughts are below.

The agency has an intranet. If possible, I suspect the hard drive will have to have these specific URLs remove without corrupting the hard drive. Then I understand that ghosts remain on the monitor's screen. If that is correct, I will need to find a monitor that is not being used and swap them.

I will need to take any technical questions you have to someone who can provide the answers.

Thanks.

NO NAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
BSOD

Default Re: HELP! Real Trouble

Just wipe the HDD

duxtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:31 PM   #3
Beta Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxtape View Post
Just wipe the HDD
What does HDD stand for? I assume it is hard drive ????

My PC is on a sophisticated intranet system and that is a real concern.

Anything I do with the hard drive will have to be done by a computer tech and I will have to remove it without anyone's knowledge. But first I will need to figure out how to remove the hard drive.

My concern is that in the process a tech would cause problems with the hard drive, which would undue what I am trying to avoid.
NO NAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:41 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken

dude, they are gonna catch you... its the government... they know all....

just fess up, they will not kill you as painfully.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:51 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO NAME View Post
I have created a big problem for myself and I thought I would see if anyone on this forum might have answers, suggestions or know where I can go for help.

Like a Dumb SHI* I am I started working for a government agency and against policy I went out to various web sites. I need to erase any evidence of going to those sites.
basically you're screwed, you can remove the inet history but you'll never be able to find the registry entries because (at a guess) your pc will be locked down (permission wise) as to what the user can access and because

Quote:
I am on the leading edge of low technology.
you haven't really got a hope in hell of understanding let alone removing the incriminating entries because if you believe
Quote:
Then I understand that ghosts remain on the monitor's screen. If that is correct, I will need to find a monitor that is not being used and swap them.
you have no idea of what is involved.

My advice, contact your superior/IT dept, fess up, be prepared to get a bollocking and/or lose your computer priviliges/job.

Companies have pc usage policy for a reason, ignore the policy and reap the results.

The only other option is to say nothing and hope your surfing isn't discovered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxtape View Post
Just wipe the HDD
Mate, you do not have a clue, it is obvious you have never been in a corporate situation.
E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
A True Folder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:53 PM   #6
BSOD

ccleaner?
www.ccleaner.com
duxtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:57 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

He is in a corporate situation, I doubt his user logon would have sufficient permissions to install software, hell, he'd be lucky if he has permission to change his desktop wallpaper.
E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
A True Folder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:58 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to _-..zKiLLA..-_

haha yeah thats what i was thinking dux, thumb drive?
Old 07-21-2008, 11:59 PM   #9
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Unless you have a close friend in their support staff you're SOL. Anything you do can/will be tracked and in some cases remotely logged.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:05 AM   #10
Daemon Poster

go to the local home depot, buy a 20 pound sledge hammer, START BASHING EVERYTHING THAT YOU SEE, wait that might get you in even more trouble.... nvm then hahaha but for reals, act suspisius and you'll be cought, act like you dont know anything that happened.... hope you dont get caught, if you do, just fess up! nothin really you can do