Help with Q9550 and Vista 64

Shane_vt87

Solid State Member
Hi all,
I just put together my new rig ith an intel qaud Q9550. But in the Bios the "CPU CLOCK RATIO" has a maximum of 333x8 which equals 2.6**Ghz. I then adjusted the "FINE CPU CLOCK RATIO" and added 0.5. it now says the CPU frequency is 333x8.5=2.83GHz, which is correct. Is this the correct way to adjust the clock frequency????? Or should the "CPU CLOCK RATIO" be able to be changed to 8.5?????

My second question is how do i check if Vista has detected all four cpu cores?? I checked the "Device Manager" in controlpanel/system and under CPU is has four "Unknown Devices". Is this correct??? I have installed the latest Intel Processor ID tool, but it says that my CPU was released after the ID tool and thus it cant detect my CPU clock frequency.... Is there any other drivers i was supposed to install????

Also, i have XP-32bit, do you think that i should just re-format and put XP onto my machine???

Thanks every1 for your input

For your second question, try a program called siw, just do a search on google! It can tell you all your pc specs dealing with your motherboard, graphics, ram, hard drive, processor, etc.! How much ram do you have? 32 bit of xp will only use 3.5gb of ram or less, so if you have a 4gb ram or better, use 64 bit of xp or vista 64 bit!
Don't re-format if you have stuff on your hard drive, unless you don't care if you delete it!

I just put together my new rig ith an intel qaud Q9550. But in the Bios the "CPU CLOCK RATIO" has a maximum of 333x8 which equals 2.6**Ghz. I then adjusted the "FINE CPU CLOCK RATIO" and added 0.5. it now says the CPU frequency is 333x8.5=2.83GHz, which is correct. Is this the correct way to adjust the clock frequency????? Or should the "CPU CLOCK RATIO" be able to be changed to 8.5?????
Q9550 runs at 333x8.5 at stock settings. What you did was fine.
My second question is how do i check if Vista has detected all four cpu cores?? I checked the "Device Manager" in controlpanel/system and under CPU is has four "Unknown Devices". Is this correct??? I have installed the latest Intel Processor ID tool, but it says that my CPU was released after the ID tool and thus it cant detect my CPU clock frequency.... Is there any other drivers i was supposed to install????
Ctrl-Alt-Del -> Start Task Manager -> Performance tab -> There should be four boxes in CPU Usage History.

Back
Top Bottom