Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Question Help purchasing a computer from a friend

Im about to buy a computer from a friend. It is in an HP case, with an HP mobo, and has an athlon at 2.0 ghz. single core. It has 1gb of kingston ram, and the vid card is an Nvidia 9500 GT. I guess thats what it is, somethin like that. And my other friend said I can have his pentium dual core that is clocked at 2.2 ghz. So i figure, buy the computer ($100), get a new mobo, put in the new processor, profit. Right? or am I getting ripped off?

So basically what I'm asking is, is it worth the money, or should I just get a new computer and upgrade it with a video card? I only have around $170 to spend on this right now...

GibsonSGKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to AzNVi3t2007
Default Re: Help purchasing a computer from a friend

I think thats a pretty good deal IMO. See if u can get it a lil cheaper.

AzNVi3t2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

i don't know if hp cases are propiatory or not...i know my dell case is, and i can't just buy any motherboard and put it inside.
Antec 300 Case, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3GHz, Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L, PNY 4GB PC6400 800MHz DDR2 RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5550 1GB DDR3 Ram, 1TB Western Digital Black 7200 32MB cache, 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Antec Earthwatts 500 Watts
thebigdintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
Site Team

I think you will find you wont fit another motherboard in the case mate.
Piss off George Monks = gmcrepair? YES, YES it was.
Yeah he likes to boost his count.
T-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

You are probably going to find that the case is microATX and the PSU is as well--however, HP PSUs are just funky to begin with... So long story short, you probably won't fit a normal ATX board in that case, and if you find a microATX board to fit, the PSU might not have the right connections for it. That's what I'm thinking--especially since I'm dealing with one right now.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:44 AM   #6
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_56013 View Post
You are probably going to find that the case is microATX and the PSU is as well--however, HP PSUs are just funky to begin with... So long story short, you probably won't fit a normal ATX board in that case, and if you find a microATX board to fit, the PSU might not have the right connections for it. That's what I'm thinking--especially since I'm dealing with one right now.
I dont know, but the case is really big. And I might not even swap it out. But do you feel it is a fair deal giving the computer? or am I being ripped off? I just want to play some modern games on it on around medium, nothing extraordinary. Will this do what I want it to?
Old 01-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #7
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonSGKing View Post
I dont know, but the case is really big. And I might not even swap it out. But do you feel it is a fair deal giving the computer? or am I being ripped off? I just want to play some modern games on it on around medium, nothing extraordinary. Will this do what I want it to?
Not really, I mean that CPU is old, like mine, and it only has 1GB of ram, and the 9500GT isn't a very good gamers card.

It will play some games, but not w/ the settings cranked all high.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNI-SmellyCakes View Post
Not really, I mean that CPU is old, like mine, and it only has 1GB of ram, and the 9500GT isn't a very good gamers card.

It will play some games, but not w/ the settings cranked all high.
All I want is to play the games on medium on 1280 X 900 resolution. Also, I plan on upping the ram to 2 gigs. And its on XP, so no vista memory hog.

I found out that I can build a new one for $273. 320 gig HDD, DVD burner, this card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16814127333R
Am I forgetting something here? Btw, my friend is going to give me his old pentium dual core at 2.2 ghz, so I dont need to worry about the processor. also thinking of this. Pentium D means pentium dual core right? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813153056
I dont really plan on overclocking, and it looks like this board has PLENTY of headroom for me. I can upgrade the cpu if I would want to, and it will take TONS of ram. Also it has alot more pci slots then the other boards. and only $4 more then the other board I was looking at.

so will this all be good? or is there something else I should get?