Help with Purchase of Power Supply

ccasmoe00

In Runtime
Hello Everyone,

I count on you all so badly it's embarrassing. :( lol But I'm getting better.

I am in the process of getting ready to buy a new graphics card for my PC. I decided to go with the Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB. Click Here

Good thing I looked at what I actually NEED because it says I have to have AT LEAST a 400W power supply with a 12V current rating of 26A. So now I need that as well. LOL

My main concern is making sure the power supply will have the correct connections for my motherboard. I have the gateway GM5260 PC and here are some details about my motherboard:

Specifications:

Form Factor: uBTX 10.4 × 10.5 inches

Chipset:
- MCH (northbridge): Intel P965 chipset
- ICH (southbridge): ICH8-DH

Firmware Hub/SPI: 8 MB

Processor Support: Support for the following Intel LGA775 socket processors with a 1066, 800, or 533 MHz system bus
- Pentium® 4
- Pentium 4 with Hyper-Threading Technology
- Pentium D
- Celeron® D
- Coreâ„¢2 Extreme
- Core2 Duo

Memory:
- Four 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) sockets
- DDR2 800, 667, or 533 MHz DIMMs
- Expandable up to 8 GB total memory

LAN Support:
Integrated Intel Ekron-N (82562V) 10/100

Video:
- No integrated graphics
- PCI Express ×16 graphics interface

Audio:
- Intel High Definition Audio subsystem consisting of: 8-channel (7.1) audio subsystem with five analog audio outputs and one S/PDIF optical digital audio output using the Sigmatel® STAC9271 audio codec

Add-in Card Slots:
- One ×16 PCI Express
- One ×1 PCI Express
- Two PCI conventional

Peripheral Interfaces:
- PS/2 keyboard port
- PS/2 mouse port
- Ten USB 2.0 ports (six on rear panel, four internal)
- Two IEEE-1394a connectors (one on rear panel, one front-panel connector)
- One internal serial port connector
- One internal parallel port connector
- Six Serial ATA interfaces
- One Parallel ATA IDE connector with UDMA 33, ATA-66/100 support
- One floppy disk drive connector Other Interfaces

Other Interfaces:
- Chassis intrusion connector
- Front panel header (2 × 5)
- BIOS configuration jumper
- Front panel audio connector (2 × 5)
- HD audio link connector

Hardware Monitor Subsystem:
- Hardware monitoring and fan control ASIC
- Voltage sense to detect out of range power supply voltages
- Thermal sense to detect out of range thermal values
- Three fan connectors
- Three fan sense inputs used to monitor fan activity
- Fan speed control

Motherboard View: (Detailed View)

4006135R_MV2.jpg

I am guessing the two MOST IMPORTANT things are:

ATM Main Power Connector: (Detailed View)
4006135R_07.jpg

Processor Core Power Connector: (Detailed View)
4006135R_02.jpg

NOW, if I am going off what I know so far, and hopefully its correct, these are my two options I want to choose from. Please let me know if these are right for my motherboard and the graphics card that I am purchasing.

Coolmax CXI-500B: Click Here <------ Leaning towards this one :D

Thermaltake W0100RU: Click Here

u have mico btx? is that suposed to be dell? btw u cant find much micro btx psus around. even micro atx is pretty rare.

Yeah, BTX boards are Dell and finding components like PSU's for them are difficult. Best bet would be buying a mBTX case with a PSU, and just taking the PSU out of that. I highly doubt you can find one over 350 watts, though.

Not I don't have a dell, I have Gateway.....................its says uATX/BTX. So I am guessing its universal.

I dont think that would work, because you said you have micro BTX.. that is a standard BTX power supply.. Probably wouldn't even fit in the case.

I dont think that would work, because you said you have micro BTX.. that is a standard BTX power supply.. Probably wouldn't even fit in the case.

Where does it say Mico? I though that was just for the ATX. It said uATX and then BTX after the "/", so that makes me think mico ATX and regular BTX. Maybe I am just being ignorant. :(

Why don't they just make it clear on the damn power supply or something! LOL

What does everyone else think?

Just to let ya know, BTX is like a mirrored image of ATX. Notice how the expansion slots and back panel are on the right side of the board, as opposed to the ATX which are on the left side.

And in mathematics and electronics, micro is sometimes represented by a u.

Just to let ya know, BTX is like a mirrored image of ATX. Notice how the expansion slots and back panel are on the right side of the board, as opposed to the ATX which are on the left side.

And in mathematics and electronics, micro is sometimes represented by a u.

They always make things so difficult!!! I should have kept my VPR Matrix, I could do anything with that PC.

Ok then, what graphics card would you suggest for the power supply that I have in there now?

I think its rated at 300W. The graphics card would be an PCI Express 16.

Back
Top Bottom