Help with pricing my components?

Bjgrenke

Solid State Member
Hi, I recently got a new rig, and I'd like to sell the components from my old computer that I'm not using in the new one. However, I'm not too sure what to price these components at. All of them are used of course, but work perfectly and have no issues. Could someone give me a reasonable price to ask for each of these following components?

AMD Athlon II X4 635 2.9ghz
Corsair vx 550w PSU
EVGA GTS 450
Kingston 6 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM (3x2gb)
H-RS880-uATX (Aloe) motherboard
Western Digital Caviar Green 1Tb 5400RPM

Best to try to sell them together if you can.. You dont want to be stuck with a motherboard that you have to find someone who needs that specific type of motherboard to be compatible with all their parts.. Might mean you take another hit on the price, but in the long run probably serve you better. (also saves on any delivery costs etc)

As a rough estimate, look at the prices of the brand new pieces, and half them, add them all together, and see what YOU could buy for that money from brand new. See if what your offering then beats whats on offer elsewhere.

Remember, you aren't selling a whole machine, so the people who buy these parts wont probably be people who know nothing about them, therefore, they will probably haggle etc, and you wont get RRP's for them. Let us know wether you're working in Dollars or Pounds (or another currency) and will try to throw some figures and/or comparisons out there

If you're comfortable with it, and live in the states, Craigslist isn't a bad place to sell components. Just be sure to include a couple of photos, and what I do, is meet people in a neutral location with a lot of traffic (grocery store parking lot, etc) and always do the transaction with cash.

The best thing you can do price-wise is to post the ad online with all of the parts, and have the users set the price. There are people out there who have surprised me by paying for parts several times the amount I was going to price it at. So don't lock potential buyers into a price, let them set it, and go with the one who offers the most. :)

If you don't want to take the Craigslist route, you can try to sell the parts on EBay, but their fees can be a little high at times (especially when you start adding more photos). Best bet is Craigslist if you want to offload the parts quickly. Folks like myself scour CL on a regular basis looking for components.

If you're not in the USA... bummer! Not sure what to suggest then ;)

Back
Top Bottom