Help with Power Supply Problems..

Nimandir

Baseband Member
This is the second time I've had to post this (Guess the topic title had an identical one here already). Attempt 2:

Okay, I left my PC on overnight about a week ago and it kicked off around 12am. I checked it the morning and it didn't work. The fans would kick on, disk drives would spin, but the monitor didn't pick up anything. The LED on the monitor just blinked.

I put my ear near the power supply while it was plugged in and turned off and I could hear a buzzing sound. I figured the power supply was half dead and I needed a new one. So, I went on new egg and purchased this Power Supply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817707001

I'm trying to get this power supply for a motherboard from a Compaq Presario 7478:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...lc=en&product=94494&lang=en&docname=c00012546

The original power supply died and the PC was thrown away. Seeing that this was an upgrade to my even more outdated gateway, I took it and put the power supply from my old gateway into this one. It was smaller in size, but it still powered the computer. Now, that power supply died and I got this brand new one for it.

I got everything plugged in and turned the PC on. Still, the same problem. I've tried two different Mobos, with onboard and pci video card, and two different monitors (my bro's monitor is indeed functioning, but not on my computer). Is the power supply I purchased not enough for the task?

Doesnt seem like theres enough power there like 145W isnt much, but that might be different to UK standards. My current power supply is 600W to give an idea of the difference.

well how big was the old psu?
I'm guessing 145W will be enough, but better check the old ones wattage.

I found the original power supply the computer came with. Here are some specs:

Mitac X-145C

AC input:
100-127V~ 50-60Hz 4.0A
200-240V~ 50-60Hz 2.0A

DC Output: Max Power 145W
DC Volts: +5V -5V +12V -12V +3.3V +5VSB
Max.A 14.0 0.1 3.5 0.25 8.0 0.72

+5V & 3.3V Total Output Not Exceed 90W

well since the old psu had a max output of 145W a 145W psu will be enough. Though usually the ones that come with the prebuilts don't have much extra juice.

Could also be the cpu, since when the original psu blows up it might give an energy spike to the other parts. I've seen a mobo get destroyed like this many times. But also the cpu is quite sensitive on the amount of electricity, so too much electricity will fry the cpu. And since u already tried with a different mobo it can't be because of the mobo.

Eventually, my dad offered a hand it helping find out what happened. He suggested the processor may have burned out. I replaced it with an older AMD K62 processor I had laying around and tried to boot. That didn't seem to work at the moment. My dad suggested removing the video card I had and everything started booting normally.

Sense it started working, I decided to finish hooking stuff back up. I got the 3 1/2 drive hooked up, keyboard and mouse, etc. I booted the computer again and it stopped working again. I thought that maybe the processor didn't have a good contact to the heat sink and left it off for an hour or so. Still, that didn't work. I tried it this morning (it was really cold in my room this morning), and it still didn't work.

Could that old PSU have fried more than the processor?

Like i said ages ago the power supply cant handle the extra load of ya extra components, thats probably why it boots with certain components removed. IMO it always pays to have more power than is needed. The more strain on the PSU there is the more chance ya have of damaging components coz of the extra work load on PSU.

Back
Top Bottom