Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-18-2005, 07:42 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Help with a power supply

I just got a computer that comes with a 305 Watt power supply and I'm planning on getting a XFX PVT45GUDF3 Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card which recommends at least a 350 Watt supply. Should I bother ordering a power supply and if so should I get a cooling device with it? Is there any danger of overheating if I get a power supply over 400 Watts?

fetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:45 PM   #2
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to Satori Send a message via MSN to Satori Send a message via Yahoo to Satori
Default Re: Help with a power supply

Unless your PC runs incredibly hot, there shouldn't be too much of a problem. You should, of course, bother to buy it because I doubt that card would work without it.

Old 07-18-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
In Runtime

Oh yeah and If I happen to get a 350W supply and I get a cooling device also; will I need to get a higher power supply to compensate for the cooling device?
Old 07-18-2005, 07:48 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

A 305 watt power supply?? That is a strange figure there. If you are going to be getting a newer graphics and it recommends that you use a certain wattage or better for a power supply then my suggestion is to do that. It elliminates any possibilities of failure when you meet the requirements as suggested.
If you are concerned about the power supply overheating, don't be. The manufacturers design a cooling system and it is built in that is more than adequate to keep it cool.

Be sure to that your new power supply will fit your new system as that 305 seems a bit off then it may be special built and will have to be replaced with only certain replacements because of proprietary measures from the manufacturer
lurkswithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:50 PM   #5
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to Satori Send a message via MSN to Satori Send a message via Yahoo to Satori

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetus
Oh yeah and If I happen to get a 350W supply and I get a cooling device also; will I need to get a higher power supply to compensate for the cooling device?
Probably not.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:39 PM   #6
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkswithin
Be sure to that your new power supply will fit your new system as that 305 seems a bit off then it may be special built and will have to be replaced with only certain replacements because of proprietary measures from the manufacturer
Oh yeah! shite..It's a dell computer...does that mean I'll be unable to use this thing?