Help please!! Broken XPS M1710

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
Ok so I have this Dell XPS M1710 laptop, it would only show a white screen with my 512MB 7900GTX card and nothing on an external monitor, so I fugured the gpu was broken and ordered a 7900GS 256MB. The 7900GS arrived today, I put it in the laptop and to my horror, still just a white screen although if I plug in an external monitor I get picture but with loads of artifacts. The guy on ebay insists the card was working before he sent it, but said I can send it back to him to test. But what if it's not the GPU? I can't think what else it could possibly be though! Here are some pics, what do you lot reckon?

7900GS on laptop LCD:

SDC12426.jpg

7900GS on external monitor: (both of the 2 below)

SDC12427.jpg

SDC12428.jpg

Hmm,

Try reseating the GPU again, and have a bit more force, just to make sure it's frimly in. Also, reseat your RAM. It' probably not the RAM, but you never know...RAM can do that too.

One thing...are you sure the laptop supports the 7900GS?

I just checked, and if it can fit an 8700M...I don't think it won't support it. Just reseat it then.

It's not the ram as I put entirely new ram in it. Also it supports either 7900GS, 7900GTX or 7950GTX. I'm starting to think maybe both the new and old gpu are dead and the lcd is dead too. The 8700M is supported by the model up from this - the XPS M1730. Yeah Dell are starting to really annoy me, this is the 3rd laptop I have had from them which doesn't work (Vostro 1510, Inspiron 9400, XPS M1710)!!!

I have no idea why Dell gets so much grief here. For the most part, they are really good machines, easy to work on and have good tech support. The problems they do have (which are no more than any other manufacturer) are usually simple to fix if you have a little bit of technical ability.

Has to be a GPU reset. I would make sure that when you are reseating it to clean it out quite well. When I had this problem on an older HP computer I used to own. A little bit of dirt had blocked one of the pins and had created some interference. It will not cause any damage by taking some compressed air and using a quick shot. Do not hold for a long time as you don't want any of the chemical mixture to get in there.

I have no idea why Dell gets so much grief here. For the most part, they are really good machines, easy to work on and have good tech support. The problems they do have (which are no more than any other manufacturer) are usually simple to fix if you have a little bit of technical ability.

I do really like Dell machines, thats why i have had so many (I've had a few desktop too before I built my own) just saying im annoyed it has broken again and I have spent a load of money already trying to repair it.

So just blow out the GPU socket? Guess its worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom