HELP!!!! Pc Wont recognise Ipod

Bear22

Beta member
Hi guys, I have a new PC running Vista and when I went to plug in my ipod a pop-up came on down in the right hand side saying USB device has malfunctioned and windows wont recognise.. The wierd part is that as soon as i plug it in I see the screen come on so there has to be power going to it.. Then when Itunes loads up the ipod is not in the column to the left.. Whats the problem. Any help would be appreciated..

Possibly this (taken from apple website)

iTunes 7.0.2 may work with Windows Vista on many typical PCs. Apple recommends, however, that customers wait to upgrade Windows until after the next release of iTunes which will be available in the next few weeks. This document will be updated as more information becomes available.

If you are upgrading to Windows Vista or have purchased a new computer with Windows Vista pre-installed, here is some information you may find helpful:

Compatibility with Windows Vista
Apple is preparing to address a number of iTunes compatibility issues in the next release of the software.

Some currently known compatibility issues with iTunes 7.0.2 and earlier versions

Syncing contacts and calendars to iPod with iTunes for Windows
01 February 2007, 06:38:55
iTunes has the ability to sync your contacts and calendars from Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express and contacts from Microsoft Address Book to any iPod with a display screen1 (Note: Outlook 2003 or later is required to sync contacts and calendars from Outlook). To configure iTunes to sync contacts to your iPod:

Open iTunes.
Connect your iPod and wait for it to appear in the iTunes Source pane.
In the Source pane under

Using Audible spoken word files with iPod
01 February 2007, 02:25:35
Learn how iPod software works with Audible spoken word files.

iPod 1.2 software and later can play Audible spoken word files, which are easily recognized by their filename extension: ".aa".

Tip: All audio books purchased from the iTunes Store are Protected AAC files recognized by the filename extension "m4b".

You can purchase spoken word content from the iTunes Store, or from audible.com.

Audible Formats
When you purchase a book from Audible, depending on the title, you may be able to download it in several different formats. iPod only works with Audible 2, 3, and 4 formats. The different formats

iPod missing in "My Computer" or in iTunes for Windows
30 January 2007, 04:08:43
Note: This article is for Windows users. If you have a Mac, we have a separate article for you if your iPod doesn't appear in iTunes or on the Mac desktop.

Can't see your iPod in iTunes or Windows Explorer? Remember these five basic suggestions when you run into a problem with your iPod. If one of the following doesn't help, read on for solutions to specific problems. If Windows sees the iPod but iTunes 7 does not, then see this article first.

Tip: Check Device Manager first (right-click on My Computer, choose Manage, and then

iPod missing in iTunes and Mac desktop
30 January 2007, 03:52:28
Note: This article is for Mac users. If you are using Windows, we have a separate article for you if your Windows PC doesn't recognize iPod.

Can't see your iPod in iTunes or the Finder? Remember these five basic suggestions when you run into a problem with your iPod. If one of the following doesn't help, read on for solutions to specific problems.

Reset, Retry, Restart, Reinstall , Restore
Before starting, make sure your iPod is fully charged and then toggle the Hold switch on

iPod shuffle: How to charge the battery
26 January 2007, 06:55:08
For iPod shuffle (Second Generation):
To charge the battery using a computer:
Connect the iPod shuffle dock's USB connector into a high-power USB port on your computer.
Note: To charge a iPod shuffle battery, connect the device to a high-power USB port. Please be aware that USB keyboards and non-powered USB hubs generally do not have high-power USB ports. If you connect to a low or non-powered port, iPod shuffle will not charge.
The computer must be turned on and set to not go to sleep.
Insert the iPod shuffle into the dock.
Verify the iPod shuffle is seated securely in

iPod shows up in Windows but not in iTunes
23 January 2007, 06:04:32
This document is for Windows. If you have a similar symptom but have a Mac, click here.

There are several possible solutions to an issue where you may see your iPod in My Computer, but not in the iTunes Source pane. Start at the top and work your way through the steps until your iPod works with your computer.

Important: If you do not see iPod in My Computer, go here for help.

Install the latest version of iTunes
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download

If you run into trouble installing iTunes, go

Windows confuses iPod with network drive or hard drive and may keep iPod from mounting or songs may seem to disappear
23 January 2007, 05:29:05
If the drive letter after iPod is mapped to a network drive or is a drive letter typically used by a hard drive, both Windows Explorer and iTunes may exhibit strange behavior in relation to the iPod.

Symptom
One or more of the following occurs:

iPod does not show up in iTunes or as disk in Windows Explorer.
iPod does not show up as disk in Windows Explorer (even though disk mode is

Identifying iPod models
20 January 2007, 03:12:13
This document will help you determine the model of iPod you have as well as the latest version of iPod software available for your model. To ensure that your Mac or PC is compatible, check the system requirements for your particular iPod.

You can always download the latest iTunes software at http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/. When you have the latest version, use the iTunes menus to check for updates. On the Mac choose File > Check for Updates. On Windows choose Help > Check for Updates.

You can tell which iPod model you have

iPod only shows an Apple logo and doesn't start up
10 January 2007, 04:47:12
You may need to restore or update your iPod, iPod mini, or iPod nano by placing it in Disk Mode if only an Apple logo appears when you turn it on.

If this happens, the iPod software may have been damaged. Put iPod into Disk Mode, then restore or update iPod's software.

Put iPod into Disk Mode.
iPod should appear in the iTunes Source pane and on the desktop or in a Finder window,

iPod displays a sad iPod icon
06 January 2007, 04:03:10
Issue or symptom
iPod displays a sad iPod icon

and

iPod is not recognized in iTunes
iPod is not recognized in My Computer (Windows) or iPod not recognized in Finder (Mac OS X)
Products affected
Any iPod with an LCD display
Solution
In most cases,

Back
Top Bottom