Help PC Will not boot-up

onepctech

Beta member
HI,

I am working on an HP computer with Windows XP installed(i think).

The PC will not boot-up and no video is displayed on screen.
I connected speakers to it to identify bios beep codes but it never produced any sounds.
I have a PCI card that is suppose to display on an LED screen 2 characters that you can then seach in the manual for interpretation. The character produced were FF. The PCI cards manual states that the FF characters stand for boot OS. I have no clue what that means.
I have a PCI video card that i installed but still no video on screen.
No POST messages are displayed on screen.
Is it because the computer needs drivers for the video card? Is the onboard VGA display adapter damaged? How do I know? Why are there no beep codes? I also tested the Power Supply with a power supply testes and it seemed to provide the right amount of voltage.
I also took the hard drive and installed it as a slave on another machine and saw all the contacts. Is the motherboard the culprit? How do I make certain? The odd thing, for me atleast, is that there is no display and the card that i installled did not help. Any ideas?

Do the fans spin?

Take out the memory and boot, if you get no error code (usually three beeps for no memory) then the board could well be cactus.

If you do get beeps the put the memory back in and remove the video card, this should also produce beeps, if not then the card may be toast.

It's a process of elimination I'm afraid.

Ok.

No video? You would get video if the Mobo was powering up.
No beeps? Again you would get something if the Mobo was working.
Boot OS? That means Boot Operating System. In your case Windows XP.
PCI video card but nothing on screen? Again, if the Mobo was working you would see something on screen.

No POST messages? That's because the Mobo isn't starting at all.

I'm with TRUE on this. Check your wiring. Take your Mobo out of the case and see if it will power up. And I know it sounds silly but make sure your mounting the Mobo on stand-off's. Earlier this week someone forgot to do this and the back of the Mobo was touching the Mobo tray. Luckly when installed properly it worked.

Thanks for the reply guys.

Yes the fans do spin.
I removed RAM but still no beep codes from BIOS.
I cant remove the video card because it's embedded in the mother board.
The PCI video card that I mentioned was one that I installed when I thought the video had gone out on the mother board.
I believe the mobo is getting power because the CPU fan and 80mm case fan are powering up.
Also, I installed this card and it's also getting power.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158065
I dont know about the option of removing the mobo?
It was working okay and just suddenly the display went out.
I dont believe there would be a grounding issue after it worked fine.
I could see that if it was a custom build system.
Any thoughts?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158065

ordinary speakers or a case speaker connected to the m/board pins???

i was thinking the same thing as i read it ordinary speakers will not produce beep codes has to be a case speaker or a speaker that you can connect to the mobo pins

OH F&&K you are right. I connected speakers to the sound card theyreceive power from A/C

Okay, so then there is a good chance the mobo is bad right? I mean no video, and no sound. Should I just toss it?

OH F&&K you are right. I connected speakers to the sound card theyreceive power from A/C

Okay, so then there is a good chance the mobo is bad right? I mean no video, and no sound. Should I just toss it?

Actually, how much is the price for a case speaker? I mean those things have to be cheap right? It's just s tiny speaker at one end and the connectors for the mobo at the other. You think that something could have happend to that speaker or do you think i'ts just a mobo gone bad?

You need to get a case speaker, the board could be beeping like mad and you're not hearing it.

Until you start getting noises from the board you'll just be guessing as to the problem.

Man, I just took a look at the motherboard, to replace the speaker. I found the speaker but it does not have any pins. It's built in to the motherboard.

now it's not sounding good.

it is possible it is a bad stick of ram, if it were me I'd go back to basics.

strip it down and reassemble outside the case the bare minimum of devices e.g. board, one stick of ram, HDD and see if it will boot.

It is sounding more and more like the board is toast, can you test the ram and cpu in another board??

Back
Top Bottom