Help With Overclocking... Pros Step In...
I've never overclocked my system before, and it's a stout system for its age.
Its a 939 system with the following cliff style specs...
Athlon 64 3000+
DFI Ultra Infinity Mobo
Sapphire x550 VC
What do you recommend the settings for overclocking be set to?
Suggestion from a guy on another board is as follows...
"- raise the CPU freq from 200MHz to 250MHz, but do it in 10MHz increments. Make all the rest of the changes listed below, but start with the CPU freq at 210. I doubt there will be a problem. Reboot & test the system...make sure you can boot into Windows & the system is stable, If it tests OK, go back & raise the CPU frq from 210 to 220, then boot into Windows again. If it becomes unstable or locks up at any time, it means you need to add a little votage to the CPU.
- change the RAM from AUTO (or DDR400/200MHz) to DDR333/166MHz
- keep the RAM timings at their defaults for now, eventually you can try for 2.5-3-3-7 @ 1T
- lock the PCIe bus at 100MHz
- if theres a setting for the PCI, set it to 33MHz
- set the HyperTransport (or LDT) to 800MHz (or 4x)
- if there are any Spread Spectrum settings, disable them
- if there's a Cool 'n' Quiet setting, disable it
If you can get the CPU freq up to 250MHz, the CPU will run at 2.25GHz, the RAM will run at 208MHz (DDR416) & the HT bus will run at 1000MHz.
If you wanna try to push the CPU even farther, lower the RAM setting from 166MHz to 150MHz, lower the HT bus from 800MHz (4x) to 600MHz (3x) & try bumping the CPU freq to 270MHz but this time, increase the freq in 5MHz increments."
What do you guys think?