Help a noob

The ryzen processors, especially, have been found to benefit a lot from increased ram frequency. 3200 would be the best right now. Even going down to 3000 or 2600 wouldn't be terrible, but usually the fastest stuff is only a few dollars more, so aside from the time it takes to look it up, there's not much reason to not have it...

Thanks I understand what you are saying about ram speeds

Could you please help me with this problem I have been looking through The list it's just confusing me tbh I can seem to find any of the ram that I have been looking at

I only want 8gb at the moment but will want to upgrade to 16 or more in the future i don't want to spend the earth around the same price as what you stated in the second build £80ish for 8gb and the speed I'm after is 3000mhz

I will also post a new thread as you said

I aren't realy into spending much more on this build so would like to keep the b350 plus board

I would realy appretiate you helping when you are not busy

Is this compatible

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/BYH48d/corsair-memory-cmk8gx4m2b3000c15

It's on the QVL list but don't understand the (VERSION PART) or anything else on the list

From what I can tell they are 2x4gb sticks running @ 3000mhz slightly downclocked too 2933mhz.

If these were compatible could I just add another two identical sticks in the future

Last edited:
Well, it doesn't look like a bios version, so i'm not sure what it is. Also, judging by that list, the memory you've selected doesn't appear to be able to use 4 sticks of ram. I think i remember something about not being to use more than two sitcks of high frequency ram, now that i'm thinking about it...

edit: 1*Due to the limitation of AMD Ryzenâ„¢ processors, memory frequencies higher than DDR4 2666 MHz are supported only when using one DIMM per channel.

so yes, you'd have to buy a single stick of 8gb ram to be able to upgrade in the future, otherwise you'd be downclocking the ram to 2666mhz

Last edited:
AMD_MAN has recommended this config in another thread labled ryzen ram compatibility posted by me

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bC6Rr7

I have also heard that about the ram

I would plan on upgrading to more ram in the future so would not like problems or have to rebuy ram and not use the high speed ones I would have purchased

So the 2x4gb sticks that were recommended would work perfectly fine at there rated speed but when I upgrade in the future and populated the other ram slots they would all get down clocked at that point

Could you find me a better selection please

I would now be looking for
1x8gb @ 3000mhz ?

Last edited:
It appears as though nothing on part picker is compatible for a single stick of 3000mhz with that motherboard. Nobody really sells single sticks of 8gb ram at that speed, I'm assuming that has to do with high end memory benefiting from running in dual channel.

As for the revision numbers i found this, it's ddr3 but should still be relevant: Revision numbers have nothing to do with the age of the modules (in fact, version 1.1 could have been manufactured on the very same day as version 9.9 of that same model number, depending on the subcontracted assembly plant used); the only way to determine the age is the multi-digit lot number.

The revision numbers of those modules merely determine which actual parts are used in the RAM. The number to the left of the decimal point indicates the IC chips used on the modules - while the number to the right of the decimal point refers to the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) used in their manufacture. And there is some chance that the two different version numbers might not work well or at all when mixed together in the same system.

https://club.myce.com/t/different-versions-of-corsair-xms3-memory-compatible/296741/4

AMD_MAN has recommended this config in another thread labled ryzen ram compatibility posted by me

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bC6Rr7

I have also heard that about the ram

I would plan on upgrading to more ram in the future so would not like problems or have to rebuy ram and not use the high speed ones I would have purchased

So the 2x4gb sticks that were recommended would work perfectly fine at there rated speed but when I upgrade in the future and populated the other ram slots they would all get down clocked at that point

Could you find me a better selection please

I would now be looking for
1x8gb @ 3000mhz ?
Did you read my post in the other build? The one I selected supports 4 populated DIMMs.

I just thought a second opinion was worth it ,you could have overlooked something

I don't know who is right and who is wrong I just want to build my comouter and not have loads of hastle with ram speeds

Did you read my post in the other build? The one I selected supports 4 populated DIMMs.
I certainly hadn't read that one yet. sorry.

after looking, i'm not 100% certain, but it looks like that other one you recommended was a 2800mhz, and according to the website:

1*Due to the limitation of AMD Ryzenâ„¢ processors, memory frequencies higher than DDR4 2666 MHz are supported only when using one DIMM per channel.

so it would be downclocked to 2666 right?

I buy my mems over rated for stability. For example, to run at 2600 get 3000 or better.

Then tweak your BIOS to tighten the clock cycles. There might be an option to turbo charge your mems in the BIOS.

Back
Top Bottom