Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-25-2004, 12:25 AM   #11
Baseband Member
 
johnsonb125's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 24
Default

If your looking for a really good computer go to these two sites:

www.cyberpowerinc.com
www.ibuypower.com

Check out there systems and see if you like them.

Also the only difference with the more expensive monitor is basically it will have faster reaction times and more pixels. It should probably go at least to 1200x900 and thats about all you need. Any more than that your never going to use. If you don't know what that means it means the amount of space on your screen available without having to screw up the clarity. Basically it looks like your zooming out and looking at more of your computer.


Also if you plan on opening up your Dell DO NOT get the warranty. It is void if you have opened the case. Yeah so most people get Dell because of their warranty offerings and most people actually void the warranty standards.


Also you might want to consider getting a local computer store to build you a computer or build it yourself. If you build it yourself you will probably save money and learn more about computers. If you get the local computer store to build it chances are you will probably get a better system than Dell for about the same amount.

PS:The cases on custom made computers look about 5000000000 times better than Dell cases(except XPS)


Hope this helps.
__________________

johnsonb125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 12:27 AM   #12
Baseband Member
 
johnsonb125's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 24
Default

Also if your looking for a really cheap bad system try Emachines. They are terrible and are also quite cheap. Hope this helps again
__________________

johnsonb125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 11:32 AM   #13
Guru
 
Lord Kalthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 13,293
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn
Default Re: Help for a Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluto
Well ok but good luck when you have to ship it back.I just drive for 10 minutes when mine needs warranty help.That all i can add.Buy at home.
Dell will deliver and do home visits where i live.Where are you ?
Lol, that is a way of looking at it - but I don't intend to have to send it back. And Advent do come to your Home too - they've already replaced my DVD-Writer.
__________________
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 06:55 AM   #14
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8
Smile

Hi everyone,

Been as you guys were so helpful,thought you would like to know,have now ordered my new computer: Settled in the end for a Dell Dimension 4600 with the following spec:

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.80GHz with 533MHz fsb
MS Windows XP Home Edition + Works 7
512MB Duel Channel DDR333 (2X256MB DIMM)
40GB (7,200 rpm IDE Hard Drive
Dell 1504FP UltraSharp Flat Panel Monitor
48X DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
Joystick - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Total price including VAT & delivery is £647

Is that a bargain or not???

Thanks again for all your help

Trisha

PS: Not prepared to pay £££££ for instillation and transfer. Will attempt the job myself. Grateful for any tips though and help if i get stuck
trisha999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 12:56 AM   #15
BSOD
 
bluto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,542
Send a message via ICQ to bluto
Default Re: Help for a Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisha999
Hi everyone,

Been as you guys were so helpful,thought you would like to know,have now ordered my new computer: Settled in the end for a Dell Dimension 4600 with the following spec:

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.80GHz with 533MHz fsb
MS Windows XP Home Edition + Works 7
512MB Duel Channel DDR333 (2X256MB DIMM)
40GB (7,200 rpm IDE Hard Drive
Dell 1504FP UltraSharp Flat Panel Monitor
48X DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
Joystick - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Total price including VAT & delivery is £647

Is that a bargain or not???

Thanks again for all your help

Trisha

PS: Not prepared to pay £££££ for instillation and transfer. Will attempt the job myself. Grateful for any tips though and help if i get stuck
NO,
not the way your going.Did you get a MBD manual,a MBD cd,and an XP installation book,cd and disks?
See Ya.
I already gave you mine,with insulting replys,so have fun.
bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 02:49 AM   #16
Golden Master
 
135791's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: No
Posts: 5,427
Send a message via MSN to 135791
Default Re: Help for a Newcomer

[QUOTE=trisha999]
MS Windows XP Home Edition + Works 7
QUOTE]
works 7 is crap
135791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:18 AM   #17
Guru
 
Lord Kalthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 13,293
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn
Default

Works 7 is crap. Even Works 2003 is crap. Get Office seriously - you'll never look back on it.
__________________
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 12:20 PM   #18
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8
Default Re: Help for a Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluto
NO,
not the way your going.Did you get a MBD manual,a MBD cd,and an XP installation book,cd and disks?
See Ya.
I already gave you mine,with insulting replys,so have fun.

I find you a picky lot. I appear to have upset the somewhat cynical bluto from day one when i first popped my head into your forum and he welcomes me with, and i quote:
"Thatís what they all say till we give answers and then it's so long."

Since Iíve popped back frequently with updates he's still as grumpy as ever. No doubt with that sort of welcome to newcomers, they will never return! Fortunately i'm made of good, strong Yorkshire stock and not easily fazed and will be back if i havenít blotted my copybook.

Please remember i, along with no doubt many others visiting forums like these, with limited computer knowledge, hope to gain experience and perhaps one day be in a position to even advise others. Life is for living and a little humour and civility costs nothing.

Have a nice day

Trisha
trisha999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 01:36 PM   #19
Guru
 
Lord Kalthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 13,293
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn
Default Re: Help for a Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisha999
I find you a picky lot. I appear to have upset the somewhat cynical bluto from day one when i first popped my head into your forum and he welcomes me with, and i quote:
"Thatís what they all say till we give answers and then it's so long."

Since Iíve popped back frequently with updates he's still as grumpy as ever. No doubt with that sort of welcome to newcomers, they will never return! Fortunately i'm made of good, strong Yorkshire stock and not easily fazed and will be back if i havenít blotted my copybook.

Please remember i, along with no doubt many others visiting forums like these, with limited computer knowledge, hope to gain experience and perhaps one day be in a position to even advise others. Life is for living and a little humour and civility costs nothing.

Have a nice day

Trisha
Lol - I'm not picky. Bluto can be; but only on his monthly.

Well; I hope dispite certian unmentioned members here you have learnt something and think well of Computer Forums in the Future.
__________________
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:24 PM   #20
BSOD
 
bluto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,542
Send a message via ICQ to bluto
Default Re: Help for a Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisha999
I find you a picky lot. I appear to have upset the somewhat cynical bluto from day one when i first popped my head into your forum and he welcomes me with, and i quote:
"That’s what they all say till we give answers and then it's so long."

Since I’ve popped back frequently with updates he's still as grumpy as ever. No doubt with that sort of welcome to newcomers, they will never return! Fortunately i'm made of good, strong Yorkshire stock and not easily fazed and will be back if i haven’t blotted my copybook.

Please remember i, along with no doubt many others visiting forums like these, with limited computer knowledge, hope to gain experience and perhaps one day be in a position to even advise others. Life is for living and a little humour and civility costs nothing.

Have a nice day

Trisha
My Mom was born in Yorkshire,missed the Titanic and got the next boat to Canada.Love that YP.
Sorry but I have been very frustrated at other forums,perhaps the responce will be better here,although i just lost another case about Windows Update not being the sollution.Hot stuff might have been where i was heading.
__________________

bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0