Help for a Newcomer

trisha999

Solid State Member
Hi everyone,
This is my first posting and i am relitively new to computers.

After many problems experienced with my old laptop, given to me by a relative, I am considering an upgrade to a new Dell Diamention 2400c 2.6Ghz computer with 512 MB Ram and a 40GB Hard Drive including 48x/32x//48x CDRW/DVD-ROM Combo drive.

With my limited experience around computers and before ordering the computer on line, and to ensure I get the correct package, I would welcome advice before ordering.

There are options to purchase the following monitors.

(1) 17” (17.0 VIS) Analogue Flat Panel Monitor
(2) 17” UltraSharp (17” VIS) (with height Adjustable Stand) Analogue/Digital Flat Panel Monitor

The Ultra Sharp Monitor (2) cost £100 more – Is there a great deal of difference and is it really worth it ?

Dell recommends a 3-year on-site next business day support package but this is quite expensive.
The computer is just for personal use and although it would be missed, it is not essential.
They offer various deals from 1-year collect and return service to 5-year on-site next day service support, I would be grateful for any suggestions?

At the moment I have a monthly, weekday, daytime package with Tiscali but intend to upgrade to Broadband usage.
Tiscali offer Broadband for £15.99 per month plus free Modem and set-up.
Is this a good package; are there better alternatives.
If I decide to go with Tiscali is it better to arrange prior to receipt of new computer or wait until its in situ.

Any other advice, comments or information will be very much appreciated.

trisha

Thats what they all say till we give answers and then it's so long.
It seems money isn't an issue,so my advice
Don't buy online,When and if you reply to this we'll go from there.
:D

trisha999 said:
Hi everyone,
This is my first posting and i am relitively new to computers.

After many problems experienced with my old laptop, given to me by a relative, I am considering an upgrade to a new Dell Diamention 2400c 2.6Ghz computer with 512 MB Ram and a 40GB Hard Drive including 48x/32x//48x CDRW/DVD-ROM Combo drive.

With my limited experience around computers and before ordering the computer on line, and to ensure I get the correct package, I would welcome advice before ordering.

There are options to purchase the following monitors.

(1) 17” (17.0 VIS) Analogue Flat Panel Monitor
(2) 17” UltraSharp (17” VIS) (with height Adjustable Stand) Analogue/Digital Flat Panel Monitor

The Ultra Sharp Monitor (2) cost £100 more – Is there a great deal of difference and is it really worth it ?

Dell recommends a 3-year on-site next business day support package but this is quite expensive.
The computer is just for personal use and although it would be missed, it is not essential.
They offer various deals from 1-year collect and return service to 5-year on-site next day service support, I would be grateful for any suggestions?

At the moment I have a monthly, weekday, daytime package with Tiscali but intend to upgrade to Broadband usage.
Tiscali offer Broadband for £15.99 per month plus free Modem and set-up.
Is this a good package; are there better alternatives.
If I decide to go with Tiscali is it better to arrange prior to receipt of new computer or wait until its in situ.

trisha

I don't think the other monitor is worth the £100 difference; unless you intend on playing lots of games with it and stuff like that.

Yeah, 3-year is the best idea. It will probably be practically useless after 3 years anyway so its not really worth paying more for 4 or 5 years cover.

Personally, I prefer Wanadoo Broadband. But any Broadband is the same, except AOL! Don't for heavens sake get AOL.

Lord Kalthorn said:
I don't think the other monitor is worth the £100 difference; unless you intend on playing lots of games with it and stuff like that.

Yeah, 3-year is the best idea. It will probably be practically useless after 3 years anyway so its not really worth paying more for 4 or 5 years cover.

Personally, I prefer Wanadoo Broadband. But any Broadband is the same, except AOL! Don't for heavens sake get AOL.

Thankyou My Lord for your kind assistance.

A note on monitors by Dell states:
“The UltraSharp Monitor only works in analogue mode.”
I would be grateful for an explanation? Is this another good reason not to spend an extra£100 on a monitor?

Excuse my ignorance but is a Flat Panel Monitor eqate to a TFT Monitor?

I suppose it's difficult to compare broadband services unless you have tried others, which is probably unlikely, but I would be interested to know what Wandadoo offer as an alternative to Tiscali @ £15.99 or BT @ £l9.99 per month.
bluto said:

Thats what they all say till we give answers and then it's so long.
It seems money isn't an issue,so my advice
Don't buy online,When and if you reply to this we'll go from there.

Your asumption that money is no object is totally untrue! I am looking for a one off purchase of the best quality available, for a best buy situation, which i believe Dell represents. I would not normally contemplate buying online but there is a considerable saving to be had and Dell are a very reputable company, so why not?

Grateful for your help and support.

Trisha :)

i got a dell 2400 i paid for a 2.4ghz processor and got 2.66
i think dell is pretty gd the only problem is upgrades

trisha999 said:
Thankyou My Lord for your kind assistance.

A note on monitors by Dell states:
“The UltraSharp Monitor only works in analogue mode.”
I would be grateful for an explanation? Is this another good reason not to spend an extra£100 on a monitor?

Excuse my ignorance but is a Flat Panel Monitor eqate to a TFT Monitor?

I suppose it's difficult to compare broadband services unless you have tried others, which is probably unlikely, but I would be interested to know what Wandadoo offer as an alternative to Tiscali @ £15.99 or BT @ £l9.99 per month.

Grateful for your help and support.

Trisha :)

LOL! I like it when people call me by my title.

Analogue means that it will only work on the old style of plugs. Depending on how old the Computer you have now is; there may be another plug next to your normal Serial Plug with the Pins. That will have 4 big pins on the left and 8 small pins on the left - that is a Digital Socket. Few Monitors have the plug; but the new ones do. You wouldn't notice seriously the difference as of yet. Analogue just means the normal Monitor Plugs with the pins you've been using up to now.

Yes.

It is, yeah, and I've never had anything but Freeserve/Wanadoo and AOL (which I used for 3 days) - but I have never had any problems. Freeserve's Broadband offer now, at 512Kbps I think is £17. There is another for £25 but I don't know what it is, and then another at £32 which I plan to get which is 1Mpbs.

And as a side not; I like the Dell Cases and Dell itself - very sturdy cases indeed!

matt be me said:
i got a dell 2400 i paid for a 2.4ghz processor and got 2.66
i think dell is pretty gd the only problem is upgrades

There are new offers coming out of Dell all the time. The latest offer giving 256MB RAM + 80GB Hard Drive as opposed to an original offer of 512MB RAM + 40GB Hard Drive. Which is preferable, when used with broadband?

Which monitor did you go and if it's a TFT are you totally happy with it?

I am grateful for you imput :)

Trisha

trisha999 said:
There are new offers coming out of Dell all the time. The latest offer giving 256MB RAM + 80GB Hard Drive as opposed to an original offer of 512MB RAM + 40GB Hard Drive. Which is preferable, when used with broadband?

Which monitor did you go and if it's a TFT are you totally happy with it?

I am grateful for you imput :)

Trisha

Yeah, 512MB is preferable in any situation; but personally I wouldn't call that an offer. Now, AMD3000+ with 200GB Hard Drive -> AMD64 3200+ with 320GB Hard Drive for only £100 more is a deal! :D

Personally; I like Advent more.

Lord Kalthorn said:
Yeah, 512MB is preferable in any situation; but personally I wouldn't call that an offer. Now, AMD3000+ with 200GB Hard Drive -> AMD64 3200+ with 320GB Hard Drive for only £100 more is a deal! :D

Personally; I like Advent more.
Well ok but good luck when you have to ship it back.I just drive for 10 minutes when mine needs warranty help.That all i can add.Buy at home.
Dell will deliver and do home visits where i live.Where are you ?
:D ;)

Back
Top Bottom