Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-21-2004, 04:34 AM   #1
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8
Default Help for a Newcomer

Hi everyone,
This is my first posting and i am relitively new to computers.

After many problems experienced with my old laptop, given to me by a relative, I am considering an upgrade to a new Dell Diamention 2400c 2.6Ghz computer with 512 MB Ram and a 40GB Hard Drive including 48x/32x//48x CDRW/DVD-ROM Combo drive.

With my limited experience around computers and before ordering the computer on line, and to ensure I get the correct package, I would welcome advice before ordering.

There are options to purchase the following monitors.

(1) 17” (17.0 VIS) Analogue Flat Panel Monitor
(2) 17” UltraSharp (17” VIS) (with height Adjustable Stand) Analogue/Digital Flat Panel Monitor

The Ultra Sharp Monitor (2) cost £100 more – Is there a great deal of difference and is it really worth it ?

Dell recommends a 3-year on-site next business day support package but this is quite expensive.
The computer is just for personal use and although it would be missed, it is not essential.
They offer various deals from 1-year collect and return service to 5-year on-site next day service support, I would be grateful for any suggestions?

At the moment I have a monthly, weekday, daytime package with Tiscali but intend to upgrade to Broadband usage.
Tiscali offer Broadband for £15.99 per month plus free Modem and set-up.
Is this a good package; are there better alternatives.
If I decide to go with Tiscali is it better to arrange prior to receipt of new computer or wait until its in situ.

Any other advice, comments or information will be very much appreciated.

trisha
__________________

__________________
trisha999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 11:27 PM   #2
BSOD
 
bluto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,542
Send a message via ICQ to bluto
Default

Any other advice, comments or information will be very much appreciated.

Thats what they all say till we give answers and then it's so long.
It seems money isn't an issue,so my advice
Don't buy online,When and if you reply to this we'll go from there.
__________________

__________________
bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 11:03 AM   #3
Guru
 
Lord Kalthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 13,293
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn
Default Re: Help for a Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisha999
Hi everyone,
This is my first posting and i am relitively new to computers.

After many problems experienced with my old laptop, given to me by a relative, I am considering an upgrade to a new Dell Diamention 2400c 2.6Ghz computer with 512 MB Ram and a 40GB Hard Drive including 48x/32x//48x CDRW/DVD-ROM Combo drive.

With my limited experience around computers and before ordering the computer on line, and to ensure I get the correct package, I would welcome advice before ordering.

There are options to purchase the following monitors.

(1) 17” (17.0 VIS) Analogue Flat Panel Monitor
(2) 17” UltraSharp (17” VIS) (with height Adjustable Stand) Analogue/Digital Flat Panel Monitor

The Ultra Sharp Monitor (2) cost £100 more – Is there a great deal of difference and is it really worth it ?

Dell recommends a 3-year on-site next business day support package but this is quite expensive.
The computer is just for personal use and although it would be missed, it is not essential.
They offer various deals from 1-year collect and return service to 5-year on-site next day service support, I would be grateful for any suggestions?

At the moment I have a monthly, weekday, daytime package with Tiscali but intend to upgrade to Broadband usage.
Tiscali offer Broadband for £15.99 per month plus free Modem and set-up.
Is this a good package; are there better alternatives.
If I decide to go with Tiscali is it better to arrange prior to receipt of new computer or wait until its in situ.

Any other advice, comments or information will be very much appreciated.

trisha
I don't think the other monitor is worth the £100 difference; unless you intend on playing lots of games with it and stuff like that.

Yeah, 3-year is the best idea. It will probably be practically useless after 3 years anyway so its not really worth paying more for 4 or 5 years cover.

Personally, I prefer Wanadoo Broadband. But any Broadband is the same, except AOL! Don't for heavens sake get AOL.
__________________
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 06:55 AM   #4
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8
Default Re: Help for a Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kalthorn
I don't think the other monitor is worth the £100 difference; unless you intend on playing lots of games with it and stuff like that.

Yeah, 3-year is the best idea. It will probably be practically useless after 3 years anyway so its not really worth paying more for 4 or 5 years cover.

Personally, I prefer Wanadoo Broadband. But any Broadband is the same, except AOL! Don't for heavens sake get AOL.
Thankyou My Lord for your kind assistance.

A note on monitors by Dell states:
“The UltraSharp Monitor only works in analogue mode.”
I would be grateful for an explanation? Is this another good reason not to spend an extra£100 on a monitor?

Excuse my ignorance but is a Flat Panel Monitor eqate to a TFT Monitor?

I suppose it’s difficult to compare broadband services unless you have tried others, which is probably unlikely, but I would be interested to know what Wandadoo offer as an alternative to Tiscali @ £15.99 or BT @ £l9.99 per month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluto
Any other advice, comments or information will be very much appreciated.

Thats what they all say till we give answers and then it's so long.
It seems money isn't an issue,so my advice
Don't buy online,When and if you reply to this we'll go from there.
Your asumption that money is no object is totally untrue! I am looking for a one off purchase of the best quality available, for a best buy situation, which i believe Dell represents. I would not normally contemplate buying online but there is a considerable saving to be had and Dell are a very reputable company, so why not?

Grateful for your help and support.

Trisha
__________________
trisha999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 10:40 AM   #5
Golden Master
 
135791's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: No
Posts: 5,427
Send a message via MSN to 135791
Default Re: Help for a Newcomer

i got a dell 2400 i paid for a 2.4ghz processor and got 2.66
i think dell is pretty gd the only problem is upgrades
__________________
135791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 11:04 AM   #6
Guru
 
Lord Kalthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 13,293
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn
Default Re: Help for a Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisha999
Thankyou My Lord for your kind assistance.

A note on monitors by Dell states:
“The UltraSharp Monitor only works in analogue mode.”
I would be grateful for an explanation? Is this another good reason not to spend an extra£100 on a monitor?

Excuse my ignorance but is a Flat Panel Monitor eqate to a TFT Monitor?

I suppose it’s difficult to compare broadband services unless you have tried others, which is probably unlikely, but I would be interested to know what Wandadoo offer as an alternative to Tiscali @ £15.99 or BT @ £l9.99 per month.

Grateful for your help and support.

Trisha
LOL! I like it when people call me by my title.

Analogue means that it will only work on the old style of plugs. Depending on how old the Computer you have now is; there may be another plug next to your normal Serial Plug with the Pins. That will have 4 big pins on the left and 8 small pins on the left - that is a Digital Socket. Few Monitors have the plug; but the new ones do. You wouldn't notice seriously the difference as of yet. Analogue just means the normal Monitor Plugs with the pins you've been using up to now.

Yes.

It is, yeah, and I've never had anything but Freeserve/Wanadoo and AOL (which I used for 3 days) - but I have never had any problems. Freeserve's Broadband offer now, at 512Kbps I think is £17. There is another for £25 but I don't know what it is, and then another at £32 which I plan to get which is 1Mpbs.

And as a side not; I like the Dell Cases and Dell itself - very sturdy cases indeed!
__________________
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 11:57 AM   #7
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8
Default Re: Help for a Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt be me
i got a dell 2400 i paid for a 2.4ghz processor and got 2.66
i think dell is pretty gd the only problem is upgrades
There are new offers coming out of Dell all the time. The latest offer giving 256MB RAM + 80GB Hard Drive as opposed to an original offer of 512MB RAM + 40GB Hard Drive. Which is preferable, when used with broadband?

Which monitor did you go and if it's a TFT are you totally happy with it?

I am grateful for you imput

Trisha
__________________
trisha999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 12:05 PM   #8
Golden Master
 
135791's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: No
Posts: 5,427
Send a message via MSN to 135791
Default Re: Help for a Newcomer

yeh i got the tft yes im happy with it
__________________
135791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 12:37 PM   #9
Guru
 
Lord Kalthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 13,293
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn
Default Re: Help for a Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisha999
There are new offers coming out of Dell all the time. The latest offer giving 256MB RAM + 80GB Hard Drive as opposed to an original offer of 512MB RAM + 40GB Hard Drive. Which is preferable, when used with broadband?

Which monitor did you go and if it's a TFT are you totally happy with it?

I am grateful for you imput

Trisha
Yeah, 512MB is preferable in any situation; but personally I wouldn't call that an offer. Now, AMD3000+ with 200GB Hard Drive -> AMD64 3200+ with 320GB Hard Drive for only £100 more is a deal!

Personally; I like Advent more.
__________________
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 10:25 PM   #10
BSOD
 
bluto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,542
Send a message via ICQ to bluto
Default Re: Help for a Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kalthorn
Yeah, 512MB is preferable in any situation; but personally I wouldn't call that an offer. Now, AMD3000+ with 200GB Hard Drive -> AMD64 3200+ with 320GB Hard Drive for only £100 more is a deal!

Personally; I like Advent more.
Well ok but good luck when you have to ship it back.I just drive for 10 minutes when mine needs warranty help.That all i can add.Buy at home.
Dell will deliver and do home visits where i live.Where are you ?
__________________
bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 11:25 PM   #11
Baseband Member
 
johnsonb125's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 24
Default

If your looking for a really good computer go to these two sites:

www.cyberpowerinc.com
www.ibuypower.com

Check out there systems and see if you like them.

Also the only difference with the more expensive monitor is basically it will have faster reaction times and more pixels. It should probably go at least to 1200x900 and thats about all you need. Any more than that your never going to use. If you don't know what that means it means the amount of space on your screen available without having to screw up the clarity. Basically it looks like your zooming out and looking at more of your computer.


Also if you plan on opening up your Dell DO NOT get the warranty. It is void if you have opened the case. Yeah so most people get Dell because of their warranty offerings and most people actually void the warranty standards.


Also you might want to consider getting a local computer store to build you a computer or build it yourself. If you build it yourself you will probably save money and learn more about computers. If you get the local computer store to build it chances are you will probably get a better system than Dell for about the same amount.

PS:The cases on custom made computers look about 5000000000 times better than Dell cases(except XPS)


Hope this helps.
__________________
johnsonb125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 11:27 PM   #12
Baseband Member
 
johnsonb125's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 24
Default

Also if your looking for a really cheap bad system try Emachines. They are terrible and are also quite cheap. Hope this helps again
__________________
johnsonb125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:32 AM   #13
Guru
 
Lord Kalthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 13,293
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn
Default Re: Help for a Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluto
Well ok but good luck when you have to ship it back.I just drive for 10 minutes when mine needs warranty help.That all i can add.Buy at home.
Dell will deliver and do home visits where i live.Where are you ?
Lol, that is a way of looking at it - but I don't intend to have to send it back. And Advent do come to your Home too - they've already replaced my DVD-Writer.
__________________
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 05:55 AM   #14
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8
Smile

Hi everyone,

Been as you guys were so helpful,thought you would like to know,have now ordered my new computer: Settled in the end for a Dell Dimension 4600 with the following spec:

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.80GHz with 533MHz fsb
MS Windows XP Home Edition + Works 7
512MB Duel Channel DDR333 (2X256MB DIMM)
40GB (7,200 rpm IDE Hard Drive
Dell 1504FP UltraSharp Flat Panel Monitor
48X DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
Joystick - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Total price including VAT & delivery is £647

Is that a bargain or not???

Thanks again for all your help

Trisha

PS: Not prepared to pay £££££ for instillation and transfer. Will attempt the job myself. Grateful for any tips though and help if i get stuck
__________________
trisha999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 11:56 PM   #15
BSOD
 
bluto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,542
Send a message via ICQ to bluto
Default Re: Help for a Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisha999
Hi everyone,

Been as you guys were so helpful,thought you would like to know,have now ordered my new computer: Settled in the end for a Dell Dimension 4600 with the following spec:

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.80GHz with 533MHz fsb
MS Windows XP Home Edition + Works 7
512MB Duel Channel DDR333 (2X256MB DIMM)
40GB (7,200 rpm IDE Hard Drive
Dell 1504FP UltraSharp Flat Panel Monitor
48X DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
Joystick - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Total price including VAT & delivery is £647

Is that a bargain or not???

Thanks again for all your help

Trisha

PS: Not prepared to pay £££££ for instillation and transfer. Will attempt the job myself. Grateful for any tips though and help if i get stuck
NO,
not the way your going.Did you get a MBD manual,a MBD cd,and an XP installation book,cd and disks?
See Ya.
I already gave you mine,with insulting replys,so have fun.
__________________
bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 01:49 AM   #16
Golden Master
 
135791's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: No
Posts: 5,427
Send a message via MSN to 135791
Default Re: Help for a Newcomer

[QUOTE=trisha999]
MS Windows XP Home Edition + Works 7
QUOTE]
works 7 is crap
__________________
135791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:18 AM   #17
Guru
 
Lord Kalthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 13,293
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn
Default

Works 7 is crap. Even Works 2003 is crap. Get Office seriously - you'll never look back on it.
__________________
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 11:20 AM   #18
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8
Default Re: Help for a Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluto
NO,
not the way your going.Did you get a MBD manual,a MBD cd,and an XP installation book,cd and disks?
See Ya.
I already gave you mine,with insulting replys,so have fun.

I find you a picky lot. I appear to have upset the somewhat cynical bluto from day one when i first popped my head into your forum and he welcomes me with, and i quote:
"That’s what they all say till we give answers and then it's so long."

Since I’ve popped back frequently with updates he's still as grumpy as ever. No doubt with that sort of welcome to newcomers, they will never return! Fortunately i'm made of good, strong Yorkshire stock and not easily fazed and will be back if i haven’t blotted my copybook.

Please remember i, along with no doubt many others visiting forums like these, with limited computer knowledge, hope to gain experience and perhaps one day be in a position to even advise others. Life is for living and a little humour and civility costs nothing.

Have a nice day

Trisha
__________________
trisha999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 12:36 PM   #19
Guru
 
Lord Kalthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 13,293
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn
Default Re: Help for a Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisha999
I find you a picky lot. I appear to have upset the somewhat cynical bluto from day one when i first popped my head into your forum and he welcomes me with, and i quote:
"That’s what they all say till we give answers and then it's so long."

Since I’ve popped back frequently with updates he's still as grumpy as ever. No doubt with that sort of welcome to newcomers, they will never return! Fortunately i'm made of good, strong Yorkshire stock and not easily fazed and will be back if i haven’t blotted my copybook.

Please remember i, along with no doubt many others visiting forums like these, with limited computer knowledge, hope to gain experience and perhaps one day be in a position to even advise others. Life is for living and a little humour and civility costs nothing.

Have a nice day

Trisha
Lol - I'm not picky. Bluto can be; but only on his monthly.

Well; I hope dispite certian unmentioned members here you have learnt something and think well of Computer Forums in the Future.
__________________
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:24 PM   #20
BSOD
 
bluto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,542
Send a message via ICQ to bluto
Default Re: Help for a Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisha999
I find you a picky lot. I appear to have upset the somewhat cynical bluto from day one when i first popped my head into your forum and he welcomes me with, and i quote:
"That’s what they all say till we give answers and then it's so long."

Since I’ve popped back frequently with updates he's still as grumpy as ever. No doubt with that sort of welcome to newcomers, they will never return! Fortunately i'm made of good, strong Yorkshire stock and not easily fazed and will be back if i haven’t blotted my copybook.

Please remember i, along with no doubt many others visiting forums like these, with limited computer knowledge, hope to gain experience and perhaps one day be in a position to even advise others. Life is for living and a little humour and civility costs nothing.

Have a nice day

Trisha
My Mom was born in Yorkshire,missed the Titanic and got the next boat to Canada.Love that YP.
Sorry but I have been very frustrated at other forums,perhaps the responce will be better here,although i just lost another case about Windows Update not being the sollution.Hot stuff might have been where i was heading.
__________________

__________________
bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
×