Help with new laptop please...

skiiermike

Baseband Member
I'm in the market for a new laptop. Mainly looking for the addition of a graphics card.

Main specs that i'm looking for are i7 quad core, minimum of 8 gb ram (A lot of photo editing), 15.6' or larger screen and a decent graphics card.

I would like to keep it inside $1200 Canadian.

Here are some that I have found so far and thanks for the help.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=054314

ASUS N56VJ-RH71-CA Intel Core i7 3630QM GeForce GT635M 8GB 750GB 15.6in DVDRW BT Windows 8 Notebook

They both have the same specs and you can upgrade them to 16gb ram maximum, If you end up buying either of them with Windows 8 I would put Windows 7 on them as the programs you would want to run wouldn't in Windows 8.

thanks for the quick response.

How would they be for gaming?

Are there any other suggestions at this price range?

Thanks, A desktop isn't any good for me since I travel and am away from home quite a bit.

I found some more options if someone can offer some advise.

This one is referb and has a i7 - 3610QM processor with 12 gb or ram. I think it's expandable to 32 gb or ram
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Asus-G55VW-DS...item43b7ed38e6

This one is brand new for $50 more. It has the 3630 processor but only 8 gb of ram. how much is it expandable to?
http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=056249

Finally, this one offers blu-ray, the 3630 processor, 8 gb ram but a bit less graphics power
http://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-N56VZ-DH71...ref=pd_cp_ce_0

Thanks in advance

Don't go with ASUS for laptops, their charging jacks are poorly made and break very easily. I ended up selling my ASUS laptop because of that problem over 5 times. Just remember than a laptop's i7 is not nearly as powerful and a desktop's i7, same goes for graphics cards. Other than that the one from canadacomputers looks pretty good(the most recent one mentioned). If you are doing photo and video editing go for as much RAM as you possibly can get - you are gonna need it.

Don't go with ASUS for laptops, their charging jacks are poorly made and break very easily. I ended up selling my ASUS laptop because of that problem over 5 times. Just remember than a laptop's i7 is not nearly as powerful and a desktop's i7, same goes for graphics cards. Other than that the one from canadacomputers looks pretty good(the most recent one mentioned). If you are doing photo and video editing go for as much RAM as you possibly can get - you are gonna need it.

Well its depends on how you treat it, If you treat it good it will last a lot longer. I have two ASUS laptops my self and the chargers and charging jacks are in perfect condition and I have only ever had ASUS laptops for myself.

Well its depends on how you treat it, If you treat it good it will last a lot longer. I have two ASUS laptops my self and the chargers and charging jacks are in perfect condition and I have only ever had ASUS laptops for myself.

I rarely took it out of my house, I treated them very nicely. Me and my friend got Asus laptops, similar models, at nearly the same time and we both have had problems with the jack. I had to have mine repaired like 5 times for it because it downright wouldn't work and my laptop became a paperweight, my friends is lasting longer but his charger still doesn't work sometimes. We got pretty high end models ($500 for his and $700 for mine) and the jack is placed right next to where the CPU is I think, and all the heat is messing up the jack. I even talked to a local computer repair shop and told them my theory, and they said they have seen that problem in laptops before. My old OLD laptop from like 6 years ago had the jack placed on a different spot, the thing even still works although the monitor is messed up and sometimes the screen just goes white and I have to restart. I would still advise against getting ASUS laptops, other products from them are great but I have heard online about the poor quality of their charging jacks.

They both have the same specs and you can upgrade them to 16gb ram maximum, If you end up buying either of them with Windows 8 I would put Windows 7 on them as the programs you would want to run wouldn't in Windows 8.

I thought that most, if not all, programs you could run in win7 could be run in win8. No?

Back
Top Bottom