Help with new gaming rig....

oh, and one other thing. i believe the OCZ DDR is supposed to be ran at 3.3v but i can only see settings up to 3.0v in the manual for my mobo. am i SOL there?

i think if you update the bios you can open open up your mobo to ddr500.

for the amd 4000, its at 2.4ghz stock and is fast enough for lots of this right now. a safe oc low-mid range would be 2.6-2.65 which is faster then the fx55, in my case, i would rather get the 4000, use that zalman cooler, oc it and buy another 7800gtx and youll be set for quiet some time. right now, dual cores dont not help on games, because games only use a single thread. but in the future, games will be used with the dual thread, but not for a while i dont think.

for the ram, the ocz can oc up to 3.3v, 3.0v is pretty high and also if u unlock the multiplier you can set your ram @ 3.0v and turn the multiper up to give u a pretty high oc.

snakemanc5 said:
Alvino...come on buddy, im sitting at an HP minitower with a celeron 633mhz and 128ram :( no way i can wait a year lol. my gaming comp died awhile back so im stuck with this to use for internet (oh and this thing has onboard graphics too.) oh, and alittle off subject, but i saw you were on the thread comparing 3dMark scores. any idea how this system might stack up? (with dual GTX7800's)

GAHDFLKHAKJHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!! Why didn't you tell me that earlier?! In that case, go ahead.

Oh dude, I know how you feel, I had to deal with an HP P4 128MB RAM running XP...it sucked!!! I had to deal with it for 5 years!!! BUY BUY BUY!

Don't worry, sometimes I use my dad's old machine at his office. It's a HP Pavilion with a Pentium III running @ 500mhz and with 768mb of RAM (upgraded) and a 20gb Hard Drive.

Alvino, i figured youd see it my way when i through those specs in lol. its rough, had a 100 watt psu and it was dieing and causing my net connection to be horrible so i hooked up a 420watt i had laying around. now its in the floor beside the case since its too big to fit in the case ;)

pffft?...i checked the specs on the ram you mentioned and it does look sweet. im gonna hit up the asus site in a sec to see if a BIOS update will let me hit 3.3v with the ram. i hope. oh, and could you or anyone else shed a little light on the speed ratings on ram for me(latencies x-x-x-x, timings, etc...)? i know jack about that.

i just realized one thing about my case too, theres not alot of space for me to add additional fans. its got an 80mm up front and a 120mm in the back. has intake vents on the bottom front and a vent in the side. i think im gonna pull it out in a sec and see if a fan will fit the side vent.

ive heard the gtx7800's dont get as hot as the 6xxx series cards, that true?

im gonna try to keep this thread going so i can keep getting advice as i go. thanks again for all of the help!
David

Just to give youa bit of histroy 7800 are NEW very NEW. Released on june 22nd. Geforce 6800s. Well they are about a year or so old not really sure. But going with a 7800 will do you fine. If youg et two. WelL i promise yout hat computer will last you 5 or 6 years.

Back
Top Bottom