Help with new g-card and PSU

s5pitfire

Solid State Member
Help with deciding on g-card and PSU

Okay, I am wanting to get a new graphics card, either the radeon x700pro or the geforce 6600GT.
I was told that i should upgrade my PSU. I currently have a 300watt PSU, with no extra fans, hard drives, or anything extra.
I was looking at the Antec 550w power supply for $89:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817103931

And I cannot really decide on which graphics card to get.
If i can go by with getting the x700 pro without buying a new PSU, ill probably go with the x700pro.
Here are the two cards on newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mpareItemList=N82E16814102443,N82E16814140047

thanks!

Either way you have to buy a new PSU. i have a 6600gt and it's a good card. If you do get a 6600gt, get a MSI one.

oh ok..
well i was asking because the X600pro has a recommendation of 300watts or higher on new egg, and I didnt think the x700pro would be much different.

any more opinions? i think im leaning towards the 6600GT and PSU

It seems such a waste to have an awsome system like that a to stick a x600pro into it,lol. it should be able to play those games, but i don't think you could put very high settings on. i don't really know much on Radeon graphic cards, i'm sure someone else will know.

Yeah, I would seriously consider getting a new PSU so its not bottle necking your system, as that 350 watt for the card is the minimum spec they say you should use! So I'd get a 450watt just to be sure.

I hope this helps :)

Yeah, good choice. It'd definitely be faster than the x600 you were going to get :D

Yeah, the Leadtek seems the best out of all, and also the clocks seem to be rated higher than the Abit, or Sapphire versions which is a bit weird (Leadtek to my knowledge doesn't pre-overclock)

Also if you wanted to run SLI in the future (would need a new motherboard if yours doesn't support it now) then the Leadtek is also a good choice for that! (Basically if you don't know what it is. It allows you to place 2 video cards into the same system and allows games to run faster), and the Abit and Sapphire versions also doesn't allow for it

Everything else though about the cards are the same because they are still from Nvidia.
The only thing that will be different then will be the noise of the fan, and I have no idea without hearing them how loud they will be.

You also get some games and software free which the others don't! Leadtek is usually known for doing that :p

I hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom