Help for new computer

jrs6494

Baseband Member
I am looking to buy a new computer and I have a budget of about $2800. I do not have a preference between intel or amd. I will be gaming a lot and would like a decent graphics card or cards. I am more in favor of ati but if someone thinks nvidia is better I can go that route too. I would also like to include a 19" widescreen monitor in that price. Any help or suggestions? Thanks. Also I can not build the rig myself because I am not that computer savvoy.

As far as graphic cards go what would be better ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 PCI-E 16X 1GB Video Card times two or ATI Radeon HD 4870 PCI-E 16X 512MB DDR5 Video Card times 2?

Also is 4gigs or ram enough or should I go for 8?
When it comes to processor speed is something like this processor good enough AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9950 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology?

The 2x HD 4870's will wipe the floor with the dual HD 3870's.

4GB of memory is the sweet spot right now for Vista.

The Phenom 9950 Black Edition is a nice CPU. It's performance is on par with the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600. It's aloso highly overclockable.

With 2.8k I would just wait for the Nehalem man. They'll be expensive and you'll have the money. By then you'll also be able to crossfire HD4870X2 (if they are crossfire-able, never been much of an ATI fan until recently so I don't know).

Back
Top Bottom