Help with Networking

bobfritzelpuff

Solid State Member
I am trying to set up a network between this computer, my parents computer, and my brother's computer. We are all connected to one router, and running Windows XP, and I ran the network wizard on all three computers. When I go into My Network Places, however, I only see the shared documents of my computer and my brothers- my parent's computer won't show up. When I go into 'view workgroup computers' I can see all three computer's- but when I double click on my parent's computer, it sais that access is denied and tells me to check with my administrator to see if I have permission to see that computer's files- the printer is hooked up to their computer, how do I get this all to work? My brother and I would like to be able to print from our own computers.

Thanks

The actual error message when I click on my Parent's computer in 'view workgroup computers' is as follows:
(Soares is the name of my parent's computer)

//Soares is not accessible. You might not have permission to view this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Access is Denied.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Have you got a firewall setup on it becuase that is probably not allowing incoming connection from the local lan, enable it, and then it should work.

No, I have no firewalls, I even dissabled the Window's one, although it should allow network sharing anyway.

If an answer could come quickly, that would be nice- my mother want's to call in a tech to do it, and I don't feel like wasting 100$.

Thanks!

To see the files of other computers on the LAN:
  1. My Computer~>Tools~>Map Network Drive
  2. In the Folder box, Enter the share path: \\[computer name]\[share path] (Ex. Mine is: \\Homebase\A@E Assignments)
  3. Click on Connect Using a Different User Name
  4. User Name: [computer name]\[user name] (Ex. Mine is: Homebase\Administrator) Make sure the user has read/write permissions if you want to change files in that share.
  5. Enter the password for the user of the computer you are trying to access
  6. Click OK
To Connect to a printer:
  1. Start~>Printers and Faxes~>Add a printer~>Network Printer
  2. Click on Connect to this Printer... and enter the share path of the printer as set up on the other computer. You should see it as you type the computer name. (Ex. Mine is \\Homebase\hpoffice)
  3. Yes or Ok out
Note: Ignore the links on this post cause it automatically does it even though I disabled links.

Back
Top Bottom