Help needed, please.

gazza44

Beta member
Hi, My computer has started to act up, there are a number of problems and I'm hoping someone can give me some help and advice. When I open Internet Explorer I can't connect to the internet, although I can still recieve mail through Outlook and I can still connect and download from Kazaa. When I try to open the Control Panel it takes 20-30 seconds before it appears. When I try to shut down I get the "This programme is not responding" message and when I run scandisk I get the message "scandisk has restarted 10 times because Windows or another programme has been writing to this drive". I have windows millenium installed on my computer. I only have a pretty basic knowledge of computers I'm afraid, any help would be gratefully appreciated, thank you.

Sounds like you got some spyware or viruses, Download spybot search and destroy from download.com, and then download a virus checker Like Avg anti virus from grisoft.com

Millenium sadly will not ignore disk writes in the defragger. Try to find a second party defragmenter.
You probably have executables downloaded to your machine redirecting your browser-try finding hijackthis.
Sometimes even with all the tools I cant get rid of redirection-I then format and reinstall. Also try disabling startup files.
start\run-type msconfig ib the run window then <enter>
select startup and try choosing disable all-if the problem goes away go back and selectively re-enable items one at a time.

Back
Top Bottom