help needed for new unformatted hard drive

madalex28

Beta member
i have a new hard drive and used a caddy connected to another computer to install windows 7 but my computer isnt picking up the hard drive

any help

alex

You have to activate the drive in windows drive manager. Right click computer>manage, then you should see the drive there. Right click and format it and you should be set.

are you saying that you put the harddrive in another computer and installed win 7 and put it in another computer? This could be your issue, you cant just install on one computer and throw it in another machine with diff hardware

Every time I see something like this I think it's a secondary drive. If you installed Windows 7 on a different computer and just moved the hard drive to your PC you might have to start all over. I've gotten away with it before, but it's not recommended.

If the hardware is close to each other if not he will have to do it again and from what the post looks like you will have to do it again. May i ask why didnt you just do it in the other machine?

Your computer will not recognized it because the configuration is set to that computer compatibility because you connected that hard drive to that motherboard . So, first thing connect the hard drive to that computer format it totally then connect it with your computer and start the windows installation /set up process by installing a fresh copy of windows or whatever OS you are using. By this procedure you can detect your hard drive in your computer.

Thanks for all the help.

My computer now regonises the hard drive within the caddy.

My next problem is how do i install windows 7 onto the hard drive that is inside the caddy?

Any advice would be appreicated

Alex

The reason why i didnt put the hard drive into the orginal machine is because when i put the hard drive in and the dvd to install it, it doesnt pick up the dvd and install itself on the hard drive. so that is why i have used a caddy and to see if it was possible to install windows 7 on the hard drive.

when i put the new hard drive in the orginal machine (my laptop) and starts up it says there is no operating system installed but i am finding it hard to install windows 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone out htere who can help?

How old is your laptop? It could be that it doesn't have a DVD drive, but a CD drive. Another possibility is that it isn't working correctly.

How old is your laptop? It could be that it doesn't have a DVD drive, but a CD drive. Another possibility is that it isn't working correctly.

my laptop is 2 years old

well i did have a dvd drive but it broke cos i drop my laptop, so im having to use a external hard drive.

i have copied the contents of the windows 7 dvd to the hard drive to see if it will install itself on my laptop?

it wont install now! im so lost i dont know what to do !

Back
Top Bottom