Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to Comp_Pro
Default Help! Need to recover documents after format!

Hi, I installed windows 7 on my netbook and after a week of usage I decided to remove it and install Ubuntu and just as my Ubuntu installed I remembered I forgot to backup 2 files (A powerpoint and a document). These files are really important and I need to recover them.

In order to hope these fils still exist, I haven't done anything with my Netbook, I've only just installed Ubuntu and left it at that. I was wondering if there was a way I could recover from CD/DVD? (I can do USB boot)

Thank you

Old 09-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Help! Need to recover documents after format!

If you've installed Ubuntu (or any OS for that matter) then you have formatted your hard drive and overwritten your data. I'm guessing that these files weren't on a separate partition or anything, correct? Probably the only shot you have at recovering your files is hiring a costly data recovery service. How important are these files?

Old 09-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
In Runtime

Well I spent a whole day working on them, it was an oral presentation for school I had written up my speech and completed my powerpoint and I was wondering if I could recover them. If not, then I can start rewriting them.

Thank you for the reply
Old 09-29-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

There are a couple of freeware or lower priced data recovery apps out there, but they are more for when you accidentally delete some files. Once you format and install an OS you're probably going to have to spend several hundred, maybe several thousand dollars to get the data back. Yeah, just rewrite them...
Old 09-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
In Runtime

Ok thank you for the advice. I guess I should start working on it now and in the future I'll be sure to back up everything (I didn't backup anything because I only used the OS for a week then forgot that yesterday I just worked on this huge project )
Old 09-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

Yeaaah, it's most likely gone, especially since you would have changed file systems as well.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:15 PM   #7
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboucher View Post
There are a couple of freeware or lower priced data recovery apps out there, but they are more for when you accidentally delete some files. Once you format and install an OS you're probably going to have to spend several hundred, maybe several thousand dollars to get the data back. Yeah, just rewrite them...
Not quite true. I've used R-Studio and Restorer2000 after full formats and gotten everything back for people. Cheaper than paying professionals to do it, and quicker (potentially) too. Only down side is neither will scan the drive it's installed on for formatted files so you will need to install the programs on another computer/hard drive and then scan the one you formatted.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
Not quite true. I've used R-Studio and Restorer2000 after full formats and gotten everything back for people. Cheaper than paying professionals to do it, and quicker (potentially) too. Only down side is neither will scan the drive it's installed on for formatted files so you will need to install the programs on another computer/hard drive and then scan the one you formatted.
After full formats and OS installs? Cool. How much do those apps cost?
Old 09-30-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
Omnicide now.

It is possible, but I highly doubt you'd be able to do it. I'd give recuva a try, and if it can't pick it up, start retyping it.

The problem here is that you went from NTFS to ext3 FS, so it most likely wrote zeroes over the entire disk.

BTW, always back up important files. It prevents stuff like this from happening.

foothead is offline   Reply With Quote