Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-19-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Help My Computer Is Hijacked!!!!

So about a week ago I came home from work and there was a message stating "Your Computer Belongs to Me!" on my desktop and I logged onto AIM and it started sending messages to all my buddies to click a certain link. So i rebooted my computer and when i started it back up all of the icons on my desktop are gone and I cant open up My Computer, My Documents, or anything like that. What the hell do i do to remove this virus that has taken over my system? I have ran many Anti-Virus and Spyware programs but none of them can seem to find this bug. I am running Windowx XP Home Edition. Please help ASAP!

il1uzions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:11 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se
Default Re: Help My Computer Is Hijacked!!!!

format! ... boot into safe mode, backup, then reformat

Old 06-19-2006, 02:14 PM   #3
Beta Member

I cant reformat because i dont know where my Windows XP CD is..
il1uzions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:14 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1234
format! ... boot into safe mode, backup, then reformat
agreed. And then after a fresh install of Windows make sure to use a good firewall and a good anti-virus software.

So no cd? Just borrow one from a friend and use ur own cd key.
mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Send a message via ICQ to ^Mike^ Send a message via AIM to ^Mike^ Send a message via MSN to ^Mike^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^Mike^

if you can, download Zone Alarm firewall from zonelabs.com (maby from another computer) and install it on that computer that should prevent other communications with the hijacker. THen i would go to www.trendmicro.com and run the virus scan. I also would try Ad Aware SE Personal, and A squared spyware scanner, also Panda Active Scan which is run off the internet. After those things tank threw i dunno if anything would survive.

You may end up having to reformat though, O and 1 more thing, F Secures antivirus trial. www.fsecure.com that thing is a beast so that should do some collateral damage.
^Mike^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:21 PM   #6
Golden Master

sounds like your pc has too many viruses and nasties to fix but if you manage to re format then do check out the above progs as they are good. avg and spybot s & d are also good
Old 06-19-2006, 03:02 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

i think you will have to reformat, just take care of your comp next time...antivirus, firewall, antispyware...ect, i know so many people that dont do anything to protect their comp, theyre just happy if they can get on the internet and go on msn/aim then start whinning to me when they cant do that anymore because they have about a million viruses and spyware
Old 06-19-2006, 05:15 PM   #8
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaming_freak
i think you will have to reformat, just take care of your comp next time...antivirus, firewall, antispyware...ect, i know so many people that dont do anything to protect their comp, theyre just happy if they can get on the internet and go on msn/aim then start whinning to me when they cant do that anymore because they have about a million viruses and spyware
couldnt u disconnect from the internet like pull the cable out of the card in ur PC or unplug ur modem unless u were using the internet too?
longworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:46 PM   #9
Golden Master

but you still need antivirus and stuff for when you go on the internet aswell as offline. opening files and stuff also need a good antivirus