Help me pick a laptop for my older mom

rosssurf

Beta member
Hello folks I am relatively new here and I wanted to ask for your help.

I would like to get my mother a laptop computer to use for email and basic internet browsing. I am hoping to be under the $400 range, hopefully even much cheaper since her requirements are very low, and I am pretty poor.
Does anyone have for sale, or could anyone steer me toward a good basic windows based laptop?

Preffered requirments:
Does not need to be new, and from my limited knowledge I think if it is older, an XP would be better than Vista (I heard Vista is a bit troublesome, but I don't really know)
She will not need much storage or graphics power since she doesn't listen to music much and certainly is not a gammer.
It really would only be used for browsing and email and some family pictures.
Her eyesight is not the best anymore so a screen on the larger size would be nice if it is not too cost prohibitive.

Thank you for you advice in advance. I hope to introduce her to a whole new world she is not familiar with and see her joy in learning that she can actually use a computer and have fun. Could be a tall task since she is a very sweet old woman that still fears if she pushes the wrong button on the TV remote something could break or the TV might burst into flames :)

RT
Baltimore Md

Thanks for your help InfectionZero. I am not sure what recertified is but Looks pretty good to me. Is that a good deal? should I get the extended warranty? or is that really not necessary.

Recertified means that it was purchased at one time, there was an issue with it and the issue was fixed and tested again by the factory. The parts were either fixed or replaced that were faulty. Newegg typically doesn't sell garbage but there's always an inherent risk with buying recertified products. With that laptop, you have 60 days to return for replacement, so if you want to lean on the side of caution, you can certainly get the warranty.

Back
Top Bottom